SOLVED Creating Executable for Ubuntu on Windows

I have a windows pc and I want to create an executable for ubuntu so that I can run it on a VM on which I have Ubuntu 18.

I have read this guide: https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/360024186531-Ubuntu-Compiling-Your-App

So it tells me to select the device in the target manager(why cant I just create an executable and then export it to my VM?) But whenever I try to add a new device it tells me that I can not connect to it and it fails creating the executable.

Any idea what to do?

• Wow
Reactions: Mut

O.Stogden

Windows doesn't have the toolset to make a Linux executable I believe, so your Windows PC running GMS will send it to your Linux device and then issue it commands to compile an executable, that's my understanding at least (as the executable is generated on the Linux device, not your Windows device, if memory serves).

As to why it doesn't connect, it could be a lot of reasons, do you get a specific error? Make sure they're both on the same local network, there can even be issues if one is using 2.4GHz and one is using 5GHz in my experience.

You would want to follow this guide if you haven't also: https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/235186168-Setting-Up-For-Ubuntu

That deals with setting up an Ubuntu device to compile.

O.Stogden

You mean you're connected over the internet to a VM?

I'm not terribly familiar with that setup. You would at least need to be able to port-forward on the port that GMS2 uses to compile. And I don't know if VM's allow you to do that.

Ideally people tend to use a 2nd machine (a spare laptop/PC) and put Ubuntu on that to develop with, or they run a VM on their own PC alongside Windows.

chamaeleon

As long as you are able to make an ssh connection from your PC to the VM, it should not matter where it is.

You mean you're connected over the internet to a VM?
yes.
I'm not terribly familiar with that setup. You would at least need to be able to port-forward on the port that GMS2 uses to compile. And I don't know if VM's allow you to do that.

Ideally people tend to use a 2nd machine (a spare laptop/PC) and put Ubuntu on that to develop with, or they run a VM on their own PC alongside Windows.
if necessary I have to find my raspberry pi and use it for setting it up
As long as you are able to make an ssh connection from your PC to the VM, it should not matter where it is.
Thats the problem I dont know much about networking. But you are not talking about the ssh private key?

chamaeleon

Thats the problem I dont know much about networking. But you are not talking about the ssh private key?
ssh doesn't require the use of public and private keys it is just much preferred over using your password (security). The question is simply, can you issue the ssh command without involving GMS in any way whatsoever, connect to your VM, and log in using your username and password. If you cannot make that work, GMS is not going to work either more than likely.

ssh doesn't require the use of public and private keys it is just much preferred over using your password (security). The question is simply, can you issue the ssh command without involving GMS in any way whatsoever, connect to your VM, and log in using your username and password. If you cannot make that work, GMS is not going to work either more than likely.
I can connect using PUTTy?

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
I've done this with virtual box before

following this vid

Your results may vary as hardware is different from emulation

Reactions: Mut
Putty would be one program you can use, yes, to test with until you get it working. If you have git installed, you might also already have ssh.exe as part of the Git for Windows installation.
Yes, I could connect to the VM via putty.

I've done this with virtual box before

following this vid

Your results may vary as hardware is different from emulation
Thank you! I will give it a try when I have time.

chamaeleon

Yes, I could connect to the VM via putty.
Then specifying the host, username, and password in the connection parameters should let gms connect successfully as well.

What remains is to make sure you are using a suitable version of Ubuntu and that required development libraries are installed. This is quite possible covered in the video (I haven't watched it), but don't forget to read very carefully the pages related to this set up that you can reach from the menu Help->Required SDKs.