• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Creating a scenario to purchase power ups

R

rsmithw352

Hello everyone,

I've been trying to learn how to use game maker and am following the book "The Game Maker's Apprentice". In it, i'm working on a game called Koalabr8 in game maker 8.1 lite edition. I would like to customize it in some way. So I came up with the idea that as you're moving your koala's through the maze, you pick up little coins called Koala Coins. I did this with variables, and even made it so in the upper right hand corner it appears with a coin, and the number of coins you've collected. Now, the next part is tricky, and it's where I'm stuck on. I've made a room for after you complete the maze, where it asks you if you want to go to the "koala shop" or continue on with the next level. If you choose the Koala Shop, then it takes you to a room which has three objects in it. The objects are called "Invincible Koala", "Ethereal Koala", and "Destruction Koala". I also made separate objects for each of those koala types, giving them the same stuff that the regular koala had in terms of movement with their individual sprites. Then I made a global variable that is activated when you're on the title screen. When the variable for each power-up = 0, the regular koala doesn't change into that particular power-up. When it's 1, the koala transforms into that power-up. Then, on each of the power-up objects, I placed a create event with an alarm in it (and I tried it with timelines too), then I made the alarm so that after 10 seconds you change back into the regular koala object. But now, when I run the game to test it, everything works until you start the new level. For example: On the Koala Shop screen, i choose the invincibility power-up. It then transitions to the next maze level. You can see the objects have changed from the koala to the invincible koala object, but it freezes, then after 20 seconds transitions you to the choice room. Is there anyone that might be able to assist me in making this work, and teach me the best way to properly accomplish this? I've tried both alarms and timelines, and it's still giving me the same result. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
R

rsmithw352

Figured it out, no need for anymore help on this, thanks!