• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Graphics Creating a "perfect" colour palette

A

Aura

As a non-artist, I've always struggled immensely while trying to learn how to draw; mostly because of my poor colour choice. For the last few days, I'm trying to end up with a technique to create a "perfect" colour palette. Not graphics, just the colour palette. ^^'

I've come across the "hue change rule" which recommends you to change all three colour components (hue, saturation and brightness) rather than just the brightness; and it seems to work sometimes. But mostly I end up with very distinct colours and the artwork looks extremely unrealistic. (Not that I can draw realistic ones, though.) Then, I found this tutorial that tells me to keep an equal common difference between the three components. That seems to make my palettes worse. So I was wondering: What golden rule of thumb do you keep in mind while creating colour palettes? What range do you prefer for your (HSV) colour components?

A lot of different rules exists, and which ones to use depends on what you want to create :) The more you learn, the better you become at using them automatically; I don't give much thought to what I do, but I know I do use complementary colors, move naturally towards blue for shadows, and other things like that :p
Multiple palette designers exist which can aid you, for example adobe's ^^ Use these, and then slowly you will come to understand the dynamics in play

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
One tip from my personal experiences: if you use two colors that feel TOO distinct from each other, try merging them. In GM, you'd make a splotch of the dark color, then select the light color, lower the alpha to something like 30 or 50, and then draw on top of the dark color with the blend mode set to 'blend' instead of 'replace'. Doing this repeatedly until the color seems right lets you merge in increments.

H

HammerOn

I don't like to set palettes before starting and I think that you should aim for visual impact instead of perfection but:

Color rules only give you direction in hue harmony. Contrast is what makes colors to look good together. You could use white for highlight, yellow your light parts, red for shadows and accent colors all over the place in a object that was supposed to be only blue and it would still looks good if you use contrast well. More specifically, their relative saturation, value, and edge hardness.
Same hue, different saturation and value:

Hue is the less important variable for me.
The same happens if you try to pick more realistic colors but mess up saturation. If you don't make contrast enough in value, it will looks dull. The shape will look strange if you don't get the edges right.

The lighter the less saturated, median is more saturated and shadow is less saturated than median. Something like a triangle. Reflected light is the most saturated. Although I'm always breaking this rule for visual impact.
For value, there is some kind of fear in picking very different ones. I had this problem too and my shaded art looked like the middle example. We think things will look better stable and uniform but contrast is what brings life to them.
Edge, the difference between surface normals, is import too and the shapes will look off even if you manage the create a good palette.