• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Created my own Physical Copy of GMStudio

T

TealMakesMeCalm

I love holding physical Things! Everyone does! I dislike having digital software (steam games are okay...) and not being able to touch them. So I created my own physical CD for personal Use for GMStudio.
I did add the EULA to it so YoYo games don't sue me.

Here are the contents:

[Folder] Learn GML [DASTRON MEDIA] v
learn_gml.pdf

[Folder] Legal Documents v
DVD_LICENSE.txt
EULA.txt
LICENSE_INFO.txt

GMStudio-Installer-1.4.1757.exe (The Official Installer, Free Version Only)
README.txt
GMStudio PRO LICENSE Owned by [censored since the title contains my name].txt

(This IS for personal use and I won't let anyone get it. Mainly because I will have it with me whenever possible.) I do want to know if this is legal and I won't get sued for something only I will use.

GMWolf

aka fel666
As far as i can see 'all' you did, from a legal stand point, was add the installer to a DVD. Thats equivalent to adding the intaller to a USB drive... I dont see anything wrong so long as you do not distribute it.

Edit. Just one thing, YYG have some guidelines about their logos. You have to get the color right and you cannot modify it by adding a face or anything. Im not sure about when those rules apply though.

T

TealMakesMeCalm

They're aren't supposed to be used for pretty much anything. I was gonna use them for an animated splash screen where the logo would fade in and the Game Maker Studio text would slowly appear from the right side of the logo and the GMS with YoYo games logo was a quick joke edit. Its more or less to just be taken as a joke.

Roa

Oh boy time to take this one out again!

The joke is that Yoyo staff were actually ok with this at one point. Someone sat down in a board meeting and was like....yeah, all that free fanmade submission art we got? This is clearly the best we have to go on.

Probably the biggest wtf moment they have ever had lmao.

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
I do want to know if this is legal...
Perfectly fine for personal use. But archiving the installer probably isn't useful. GameMaker Studio needs an internet connection to periodically validate itself, and update to the latest version. And if you have an internet connection, you can get the installer from YYG. No need to archive it.

But archiving your license and registration info could be useful. Although I'd personally recommend just writing them in your journal (on paper), or something similar. That might be safer than putting them on a disk.

Last edited: