• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Create Event and parents

T

Toxicosis

Hello,

I am a first-time user, I had a problem with my game.

I am currently prototyping (before going into an epic blood-pumping journey about the meaning of life, the universe, and everything, I'm making a game about a balloon that inflates and deflates when the player releases shift), and trying to allow the player to cycle between 2+ modes for the player. In order to do that, I created a parent, obj_player, and several child objects, each of which represents the player's current mode.

My question is, are create events inheritable? I placed an instance of the player's first mode in the room, and when I pushed SPC to shift to the second mode, it tells me the mode variable wasn't initialized, even though obj_player has a create event to do just that. That, despite giving the parent obj_player and the parent obj_walls a collision marker with each other worked just fine- albeit I had to comment it to get it to stick.

Here's a copy of the code I was using for the mode shifting. I apologize for the drag_and_drop thing, I'm kinda new to coding still.

======

Code:
Obj_Player:

Create Event:
Set Variable ready_baloon to true
Execute a piece of Code
[ready_baloon = true]

Release [Shift]:
If ready_baloon is equal to true
Start of a Block
  If inflated is equal to false
  Start of a Block
   Create instance of obj_balloon_inflated at relative position (0,0)
   Destroy instance
   Comment: Setting variables is best in the object itself.
  End Block
  Else
  Start of a Block
   Create instance of obj_balloon_flat at relative position (0,0)
   Destroy Instance
  End of a Block
End of a Block

Obj_Balloon_Flat

Create Event:
Execute a piece of code
[inflated = false;
//ready_baloon = true]
======

If I don't uncomment the initializing of ready_baloon in the create event of obj_balloon_flat, the game stops working as soon as I release shift.

It's rather frustrating: I was hoping to initialize everything that doesn't change between modes at the parent. Does that mean I have to place a spriteless parent in the room, rather than a copy of balloon_flat, and give the parent the instructions to create the flat balloon to start the game?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT:

I tried to put obj_player in the room, but then the variables specific to obj_balloon_flat involved in its step event cause an immediate crash before it can even spawn the obj_balloon_flat. Is there a way to make sure the object is created BEFORE any step events take place? Or do I have to hold off the step event actions until there is an object created, by using instance_count?

Last edited by a moderator:

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
All events can be inherited. However, you have to manually give the instruction to inherit as soon as you put anything in the child's event. You can do this by calling event_inherited. Not doing so will result in the child's event overwriting the parent's event.