• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion Create Child + Variable Definitions + Instance Variables... some IDE suggestions

xDGameStudios

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Hi everyone! I've already filed this suggestions to YYG but wanted to know your opinion regarding this ideas,
so I can see how many people are interested in those same suggestions. Take into consideration that these are simple
but in my opinion interesting suggestions that would increase the workflow performance of game development.

1) Add a "Create Child" entry to the right click of a mouse on an object (similar to what happens in the room resource)
this would allow for a faster way of creating inheritance objects (without the need to set the parent manually).
NOTE: the current way of selecting parent would still be there.. this would be just a shortcut.

Believe me when you have a lot of objects and a very complex structure.. finding the right parent is difficult.

Captura de ecrã 2020-03-08, às 14.04.58.png

2) Make instances selectable as a "resource" type in the "Variable Definition" window for a given object.
Selecting instance ID is generally used for room switching systems in RPG and even key/door pair, allowing to
select instances and even filtering them would be very nice.

This feature would allow for game designers not to mess with "expressions" when trying to select an instance.

Captura de ecrã 2020-03-08, às 14.17.24.png

3) Making the Instance Variable edit window more accessible.
Right now if you want to edit many object at the same time and copy variables from one object to another you have to have a lot of windows opened.
I know probably this is the way GMS2 is supposed to be... but when you are accessing the "Instance Properties" you probably want one of two things:

- Edit the color/rotation/scale.... (those are very accessible)
- Edit the instance variables (those are really not that accessible) - Properties - Variables - Click the Edit Icon - Write the new value

This change will allow for game design members of the team to have an easier time when editing stuff.

Captura de ecrã 2020-03-08, às 14.28.52.png

Maybe by embedding window (1) into window (2). What do you guys think about this?!

I know this suggestion are not what everyone expects like a better sprite editor / better sound editor / custom plugin API...
but are good quality helper suggestion specially for game designer.

Last edited: