• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Create an Overwatch-style Score Tracker/Loot Box System

Velocity

Hey guys,

So I'm making a fighting game, like Street Fighter. And I wanted to put a loot box system in the game, where, after every fight, my game tracks the player's score, and tallies up how many points they've accumulated, and then once a character has leveled up, it unlocks a loot box.

So HOW would I DO that exactly?

I'm wondering how to even DETERMINE how the score gets measured up, and also, how to make the counter tick up after the fight's done.

Cheers.

O

orSQUADstra

Let's just take it easy and start at the beginning, leveling up.
You would do it this way: create two global variables, one called global.xp, the other global.nextlevel.
By the end of every match, you would add the rewarded XP to global.xp, and have a while loop:
Code:
while (global.xp > global.nextlevel)
{
     global.xp -= global.nextlevel
     global.nextlevel *= 1.2 //set it to 1 if you don't want the amount of XP needed to level up to change, or make it *= 1.5 or something. If you don't want it to be exponential, then have += [amount]

//And also, level reward. You can do this many way, either always a random loot box, or you can set up cases to which level rewards you which loot box
}
And that's ultimately it.

P

pieterator

What kind of fighting game systems are you planning on implementing for your fighting game?
I.e. what will you borrow from what games :D
- Street Fighter
- King of Fighters
- Marvel vs Capcom
- Guilty Gear

Velocity

What kind of fighting game systems are you planning on implementing for your fighting game?
I.e. what will you borrow from what games :D
- Street Fighter
- King of Fighters
- Marvel vs Capcom
- Guilty Gear
For NOW I'm just making a fighting game, and trying to put a leveling system in it. I guess like Tekken. And Overwatch. But I'm sure TONS of games do it.

With those games that you named - of COURSE there will be similarities to them in ONE way or another. But I don't really PLAY King of Fighters or Guilty Gear. And I've BARELY played MvC. Although I DO love the KOF characters.

trg601

In overwatch you have a fixed amount of xp needed to level up (after level 25), which is good for giving lootboxes (it would be annoying to have to work increasingly harder to get a box)

Different games have different leveling systems, and it's up to you how you set yours up.

There are many things in overwatch that give you xp, and you should think about how the player should gain xp in your game. Maybe you get some xp for winning, or using special moves, or finishing with record time. It's up to you.

But you should do something like what orSQUADstra said for actually running it, but think about if you want it to become harder to level up.

Velocity

Let's just take it easy and start at the beginning, leveling up.
You would do it this way: create two global variables, one called global.xp, the other global.nextlevel.
By the end of every match, you would add the rewarded XP to global.xp, and have a while loop:
Code:
while (global.xp > global.nextlevel)
{
     global.xp -= global.nextlevel
     global.nextlevel *= 1.2 //set it to 1 if you don't want the amount of XP needed to level up to change, or make it *= 1.5 or something. If you don't want it to be exponential, then have += [amount]

//And also, level reward. You can do this many way, either always a random loot box, or you can set up cases to which level rewards you which loot box
}
And that's ultimately it.
Thanks man

Velocity

In overwatch you have a fixed amount of xp needed to level up (after level 25), which is good for giving lootboxes (it would be annoying to have to work increasingly harder to get a box)

Different games have different leveling systems, and it's up to you how you set yours up.

There are many things in overwatch that give you xp, and you should think about how the player should gain xp in your game. Maybe you get some xp for winning, or using special moves, or finishing with record time. It's up to you.

But you should do something like what orSQUADstra said for actually running it, but think about if you want it to become harder to level up.
Yeah I want the leveling up system to be consistent. So that you level up after a few fights. And it DOESN'T get increasingly harder to level up.

Thanks for the suggestions on how to make them level up. Winning, special moves and record time are EXACTLY the things I needed to hear... And I KNOW how to code that too. Or at least, I should be able to figure that out...