GameMaker Create a cutscene

N

Norea

Hello guys, I wanted to ask if it was possible to animate some cutscenes and import them into GM2. I find myself very well with software like After Effect, and I've already created many cutscenes using vector graphics, creating very captivating animations. Unfortunately I've read around that there are no possibilites to import classic video extensions (.wma/.mp4 / .avi etc). I've also read that most people use Spines to create their own animations, and I also use it to create animations of characters or objects, but not for more complex cutscenes. I also found the possibility to export from After Effect the file .JSON with the extension bodymovin but unfortunately it is not interpretable by GM2 anyway. How do you do it? What do you use to create more complex cutscens that are impossible to handle on Spines? Thanks a lot to everyone! See you soon!

Mick

There are a few video player extensions on the marketplace, haven't tried any of them myself though.

N

Norea

Hi Mick! Thank you for the reply; I had seen some extension for video import but they are all for GM 1.4, still nothing for GM2. Also in terms of performance, since the final app is intended for mobile devices, I doubt it's convenient to use an imported video. What I wonder is how, or with what software you create cutscenes. Do you only use Spine?

N

Norea

It's not a problem using Spine in fact. I just wondered what you were using in the case of more complex cutscenes, with dialogs, windows of different sizes, remarkable parallaxes and particle effects. Using Spine repeat, it's not a problem, the only issue is that respect to other software, the 2D animation is slightly more complicated and shabby. :3

JackTurbo

I may sound daft here, but could you not render out of after effects as a jpg sequence and import that as a giant sprite?

Imagine it's probably a pretty memory intensive approach though...