• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Could i get copyrighted for too similar style? (Earthbound)

F

fridai

I've started drawing characters, and before i get too deep and spent too much time on it, i have to know if for example my style <without black borders> and diffrent look is enough to avoid copyright problems, as obviously i used as an example characters from earthbound. what do you think, can i freely make more without worrying about copyright or should i make new, my own "lineart" for characters. (It's not question if they Look good, im asking about copyrights so ...shhhh xD )
<image deleted, i already got answer i needed, thank you :v >

Last edited by a moderator:

Jabbers

This doesn't fly in Australia and so I'd be surprised if other parts of the western world tried to enforce it in a drastically different way.

Copyright does not protect styles.

In a recent decision of the Full Federal Court, the Court reaffirmed the fundamental legal principle that copyright does not protect ideas and concepts but only the particular form in which they are expressed. The effect of this principle is that you cannot copyright a style or technique. Copyright only protects you from someone else reproducing one of your actual artworks – not from someone else coming up with their own work in the same style.

In the recent Full Federal Court case one visual artist had produced artworks which were in many ways similar to those of another, better established artist. The first artist had used the same style of painting and similar colours, techniques and subject matter to the second artist. The Court found that this was not, of itself, enough to amount to copyright infringement.
Source

Won't get a copyright strike, but some people will think you're lazy and lame if you're *too* close. Everyone is inspired by other art. Just make sure you're adding your own ideas to what you make, and you'll be fine!

E

ethian

As they said me before, art styles can't be copyrighted, so don't worry!