• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GameMaker could GMS2 make a keylogger... sorta?

T

Tarco

Hello

The Issue
I was wondering what would be the best method to create a background application that monitors and responds to key presses or key press combinations, like a key logger, but not intended to be nefarious in any way, but rather the aim is to develop an application to give the user audio feedback when a key is pressed.

I would need to run this as a background app for it to be useful, could I use GML natively or would I need to find or write an extension to support this functionality?

The Reason
I love my cherry MX blue switches

kind of dumb and perhaps overkill I know, but if I had to, for example use browns in my workplace, maybe a pair of head phones and a background application that plays an audible click when I actuate a key-press could be useful.

Of course creating such an application could have further possibilities, reducing misstrokes, training players to hit certain buttons or combinations, typing in VR etc...

I look forward to reading any feedback, comments or suggestions and would like to thank everyone for their time

Roa

Do you really want to make an app, or did you just need an escuse to post the blueswitch meme.

...Its not exactly funny or original....

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
keyboard_check_direct is an equivalent of GetAsyncKeyState in WinAPI and can be used to check for inputs when application is not in focus, though in recent versions of Windows this is subject to security policies (requiring to run as administrator or not being permitted at all).

That said, I don't think making an GM app to play key press sounds is a good idea due to latency.