• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Design Copyright a war?

D

David11

Hi Peeps :D

Thats it, Im done searching anything. I get more confused when I see two sides of an argument HAHAHAHA.
But seriously, when is copyright considered copyright? Here are my thoughts. For an example, without mentioning names, we have a game, of an individual that goes on a journey, to save the land, and rescue someone. Well that sounds like a lot of games. Mario Bro's, Zelda, and so forth. They have different names, different stories, but yet they are simmilar in so many ways. Yet, noone is suing anyone.

With my issue, if anyone reads a recent topic I had done, I was thinking of doing an idea that was done already. Here is the topic: https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/prisoner-of-war-style-game.34978/#post-216766

Right at the moment, Im doing another main project, and just fiddling with this new project. I dont want to make a clone so much, but grab some ideas from the original. When I take a step back, depending on how I look at it, Im right as well as wrong. Here is how I see it.

1) It will be based on a war
2) Will become a prisoner
3) Have certain time-restrictions. For example, a car has to be returned at 12:00 pm
4) Must interact with other characters.

With just saying the above, it doesnt 100% make you think of the original game. It just makes you think of new game. But when I change it, to sound closer to the original game, it might sound like this.

1) Based on WW2
2) Prisoner at concentration camp
3) Must get to an area for role call.
4) Talk to other prisoners, to help you escape.

Saying it like that now, might get you too say "Oh ya, that sounds like "Prisoner of War for ps2" The Hell? :D As I fidle with this second project off and on, Im making it too close to the original. Im trying not to do that. So how do you copyright a war? Or to be somewhere at a particular time? If I change the story, the people, why hes in prisoner, I might be able to get away with the "It reminds me of this game" crowd. And even if people dont realize it, there have been a couple of games, simmilar to GTA. They're not as big as GTA, but still. If I mention "stealing cars" the one game we all think of is GTA. How can you copyright stealing cars?

Last edited by a moderator:

WarpDogsVG

You can't copyright an experience. You can copyright assets and names and intellectual property, but not experience

You could create a game about an italian plumber named Vinny that explores the fungus kingdom to rescue princess plum. nintendo couldn't do anything to you.

G

Guest User

They're not as big as GTA, but still. If I mention "stealing cars" the one game we all think of is GTA. How can you copyright stealing cars?
people comparing your game to another game =/= accusing you of copyright infringement and calling the copyright police, if that's the cause of your concern.

the things that are copyrighted and trademarked are usually things like logos, characters, and other assets. a somewhat-example being how song titles and what the songs are about are not usually copyrighted, just the particular arrangement of words (lyrics).

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
There are several games based around WW2, made by different people, so that one definitely isn't copyrighted. I'm pretty sure real-life events and people aren't copyrighted, but there might be laws against using people that still are alive (defamation, etc) so you generally should stick to stuff that's already in the history books.

D

David11

Thanks guys, I think you clarified it. I feel a little more comfortable with it. But here is something else to ponder on. Think Naughty Dog. In the game "Last Of US" (my #1 fav ) Ellen Page sued them, stating Ellie was her. In fact, looking at the two, I cant see how its not her. I dont know if she won or not, but something as those simmilarities, makes me keep in mind, to keep anything visualy aligned too something/someone else.

Genetix

That description also sounds like many of the Call of Duty games, and many other games... things like WW2 still seem broad enough that I wouldn't consider a single product tied to them.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
From what we have seen so far, suing companies because of how characters look doesn't really work out.
It feels like a bit of a no-win situation, really: if the characters look accurate enough, there's no reason to complain, and if they're inaccurate enough, it files under "parody", which is protected by law in the US (which is the only country in the world where suing people over petty things constantly is a thing).