Graphics Converting An Older Project to Mobile

S

SmallyBiggs

HI,

I'm looking to convert a previous pc game project to a mobile platform. Considering I haven't purchased any modules yet, is there any way I can accurately test how the game would appear on a particular screen resolution, for example, the iphone 6? Can simply settings the "view" and "port on screen" accurately reflect this? If so, how do I properly set these to simulate such a screen resolution?

Below are the details of the current project scale:

Most of the sprites are drawn on a 64x64 scale,
in a room that is 1729 wide x 960 high,
and only about a 1/4 of the room should ideally be in view.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

S

seanm

not really, no. You cant even be certain that if your game runs well on an iphone 6 that it will run well on any other phone.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Can simply settings the "view" and "port on screen" accurately reflect this? If so, how do I properly set these to simulate such a screen resolution?
That should more or less work, but don't forget that a pixel on a mobile screen is a lot smaller than a pixel on a computer screen, not to forget that a mobile user would cover big parts of the screen with their fingers.

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
+1 to Yal for reading the question correctly. ;) It's a question about visual appearance on a mobile screen -- not performance.

Just adjust view_wview[ ] and _hview[ ] to sample the portion of the room you want visible. Then set view_wport[ ] and _hport[ ] to create a screen display size similar to a windows phone screen.

But Yal makes a good point: you can't accurately recreate both the size and resolution (pixels per cm) of a mobile screen on you PC. But you can get a "rough sense" of how the game will appear on a mobile screen. That will help you understand what visual changes might be required to make it playable on a mobile screen.

But as others have said, performance is something else. To test that, you need the export module.

Last edited:
S

SmallyBiggs

+1 to Yal for reading the question correctly. ;) It's a question about visual appearance on a mobile screen -- not performance.

Just adjust view_wview[ ] and _hview[ ] to sample the portion of the room you want visible. Then set view_wport[ ] and _hport[ ] to create a screen display size similar to a windows phone screen.

But Yal makes a good point: you can't accurately recreate both the size and resolution (pixels per cm) of a mobile screen on you PC. But you can get a "rough sense" of how the game will appear on a mobile screen. That will help you understand what visual changes might be required to make it playable on a mobile screen.

But as others have said, performance is something else. To test that, you need the export module.
Thank You both for clearing that up!

(P.S. I really thought you were typing with a southern accent before reading the previous poster's name. :potato: )