• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Mac OSX Convert Game to Mac version

• Thread starter James FR Boersma
  • Start date
J

James FR Boersma

Created a game using GM ver 1 on a windows computer and now I would like to convert it to my mac running GameMaker 2. Is there a way to do this?

Running this program on a mac do I need to create a developer id? I was told that I would have to follow the attached steps but to be truthful the program it's a bit confusing - any and all help is greatly appreciated.

https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us...p-And-Distribute-To-Mac-OS-X?mobile_site=true

Thanks in advance!

In GMS 1, export your game to a .gmz file.

Copy the file to your Mac.

In GMS 2, Import the gmz file.

Done.

In my experience, the conversion process works even for large projects, as GMS 2 converts any incompatible functions using compatibility scripts.

Just take note, that the compatibility scripts may be slightly slower than the built-in GMS 2 functions, and you might want to read the conversion report and think about converting your game to use the native GMS 2 functions once you are familiar enough with them to do so.

NOTE: You could also install GMS 2 on your windows machine and perform the conversion there.

GMS 2 projects can be opened on both Mac and windows machines (at least it works for me) without any changes.

As far as I can tell, I didn't need to create a developer ID. I just left the Developer ID blank, this will skip the Code Signing check and allow you to build an executable.

I used to have an Apple Developer account active on my Mac, but I no longer have a subscription to it. Don't know if that affects things or not.

EDIT : If you are planning on distributing your game via the Mac or iOS app store, or test it on iOS devices, then yes, you will need a developer ID, which is granted via a subscription to Apple Developer program or whatever it is called at the moment.

E

ERIKLRL

In GMS 1, export your game to a .gmz file.

Copy the file to your Mac.

In GMS 2, Import the gmz file.

Done.

In my experience, the conversion process works even for large projects, as GMS 2 converts any incompatible functions using compatibility scripts.

Just take note, that the compatibility scripts may be slightly slower than the built-in GMS 2 functions, and you might want to read the conversion report and think about converting your game to use the native GMS 2 functions once you are familiar enough with them to do so.

NOTE: You could also install GMS 2 on your windows machine and perform the conversion there.

GMS 2 projects can be opened on both Mac and windows machines (at least it works for me) without any changes.

As far as I can tell, I didn't need to create a developer ID. I just left the Developer ID blank, this will skip the Code Signing check and allow you to build an executable.

I used to have an Apple Developer account active on my Mac, but I no longer have a subscription to it. Don't know if that affects things or not.

EDIT : If you are planning on distributing your game via the Mac or iOS app store, or test it on iOS devices, then yes, you will need a developer ID, which is granted via a subscription to Apple Developer program or whatever it is called at the moment.
How did you not create a developer ID? I'm getting "Could not find matching certificate for Developer ID Application".

This is a relatively old post.

Newer versions of GMS 2 now require the code signing, I think its in the release notes of one of the recent builds.

I haven't tested it recently, so I don't remember the details, but I think I was still able to make stand alone builds by opening the XCode project myself and building the project manually from there without needing code-signing.

But if I try to do it all from the GMS 2 IDE, it won't complete the build automatically because of this code signing restriction.