Steam Conversion to Steam?

alexhinton

Wondering if any code needs to be altered between a windows version of the game and a steam version. I realize that steam needs to be integrated in the game. Otherwise is it virtually a "windows game?"

Mick

Yep, it's quite straight forward, you can of course make Mac and Linux versions for Steam also. The Steam API (for achievements etc.) is easy to use in GMS. The process of creating builds and uploading them to Steam will need a bit reading, maybe there is a tutorial, I'm not sure.

M

MishMash

Fundamentally, no difference between a regular windows exe and a build for Steam. You don't specifically have to use the Steam API, as the platform will just run your exe's anyway. The overlay works automatically to. (You can test this by just manually adding a game to your steam library). The only thing you should do once you have your game on Steam is enter the Steam App ID in the global game settings.

Fern

Fundamentally, no difference between a regular windows exe and a build for Steam. You don't specifically have to use the Steam API, as the platform will just run your exe's anyway. The overlay works automatically to. (You can test this by just manually adding a game to your steam library). The only thing you should do once you have your game on Steam is enter the Steam App ID in the global game settings.
Even then there are a number of shoddy titles I've purchased that didn't even have the Steam API including and so were just an exe with no Steam overlay. Though this was about two years ago and so might not apply anymore.