• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Conversion guide for 2.2.5 -> 2.3?

bsabiston

I have a few big projects that are using 2.25, and I have avoided updating to 2.3 because I haven't had time to fix what breaks.
How much of a problem is updating going to cause? Is there a guide somewhere for the things I need to change?

I'm looking online and have not found too much, though I see a lot of posts about how their game broke when they updated :(

Thanks for any advice.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Mainly this:

That aside... make a backup, import into 2.3, see what breaks. No risk. :)

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
The changes to function declaration will actually happen automatically. The arguments will still be named argument0, etc... and it doesn't add things like named arguments, but in general it doesn't break things for most people. There might be some things that happen due to changes to arrays and them no longer being multi-dimensional, and I don't know if the converter handles that or not.

In my case, not one thing broke. I did spend time making changes to functions, and changed some things to take advantage of the new features(like structs), but things don't stop working if you don't use those features. And they didn't remove any of the other normal things(like data structures), so in general projects shouldn't break. I'm guessing the issues reported are more to do with "vocal minority" than it being a case of it breaking "everybody's" projects.

bsabiston

Is it possible to have both 2.2.5 and 2.3 active on a single machine? I'm pretty sure I can download the two different versions, but I am not sure about the runtime. Honestly I am not even sure what the runtime is, but if I download 2.3 is the 2.2.5 version suddenly going to want to use the 2.3 runtime and break?

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
2.2.5 will be uninstalled completely if you install 2.3 unless you install it to a sandbox. You can have theoretically unlimited amounts of concurrent installs if you install them to a sandbox.

The runtime is the runner your game uses to run, which determines which functionality will or won't be available and how it works when running the game.

You can also install one version each from the stable and beta channels concurrently (for example 2.2.5 and 23.1.1.266).

Is it possible to have both 2.2.5 and 2.3 active on a single machine? I'm pretty sure I can download the two different versions, but I am not sure about the runtime. Honestly I am not even sure what the runtime is, but if I download 2.3 is the 2.2.5 version suddenly going to want to use the 2.3 runtime and break?
You can, but it's not exactly simple or reasonable to do. The only way to do this as of this post is to have the current version through Steam, and download the installer for the older version for your desktop version. I believe you can get a Steam license for free if you own a desktop license, or vice-versa.

bsabiston

I have never really used Steam. How does it enable you to have a different version?

I have a different (Windows) machine with my old Gamemaker 1.4 on it. I was thinking I could use that to test out 2.3 ... but If I install 2.3 on that will it screw up GameMaker 1.4?

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Steam installs software and configuration to a separate location than the stand-alone version does. This grants you one more concurrent install without having to resort to a sandbox.

2.x and 1.x live in isolated environments and do not conflict with each other.

bsabiston

Do I have to buy Gamemaker again on Steam if I already have it? I tried linking my YoYo account to my Steam account, but Steam still wants me to pay for GameMaker...

oh nevermind, I found the button to add my license to my Steam account.

Last edited: