Controller recommendations.

G

GM029

I'm looking for good PC controller recommendations so that I can build controller support into my game. Not looking for anything fancy or overly expensive since I'll probably never use it outside of building my game. Something with dual thumbsticks is preferable.

O.Stogden

If you want to follow the standard, get an Xbox One or PS4 controller, as they'll be what most people use to play your game.

G

GM029

Thanks! I broke down and ordered an XBox One controller, I actually already have a PS4 so I can develop and test for both though I've heard you can't makes the PS4 controller rumble working through GMS and DS4.

XBox One is the new standard after the XBox 360 controller was retired. Plus the 360 wireless controller forces you to have an adapter.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
I have an XBOX360 controller I use. That said, I highly recommend you just make it so your player can use any controller they want. GMS supports both DInput and XInput devices. Most games let the player press the button(or move the axis) for each "action" in a game to decide what to use. You could even allow a mix of keyboard, mouse, and gamepad(multiple) inputs for the same player if you made the system right. Its good to have some sane default control schemes, but let the player do what they want!

G

GM029

I received my XBox One controller today. I've already modified my game to use it, it was a piece of cake. I assume that means that it'll work with most standard controllers since the commands aren't controller specific. Right now the keyboard and controller are available at all times for the player to use.

Roa

Any x-input with a non-floating D-pad honestly. 360 and xbone are the same, most logictechs, rock candies, and steelcloud/ bluetooth brands will use Xinput. PS4 is ass and they still refuse to use standardized inputs. Same with nintendo. Don't ever use D-input ever in GM. It's super depreciated and needs setup for each controller and their manufacture, plus it conflicts with xinput. You only get 2 supported controllers in GMS with it. Xinput nets you 4- can be extended to 16 and is a compliant industry standard. Most people using ps4 controllers will be using some middle ware to convert it to xinput compatibles anyways