• Hey! Guest! The 40th (!!!) GMC Jam will take place between February 25th, 12:00 UTC to March 1st 12:00 UTC. Why not join in this very special anniversary jam! Click here to find out more!

SOLVED Controller Input Using Object Variables Issue

Can anyone tell me why this isn't working properly?

I have made a Player Controller Input object o_input, o_inputP2, o_inputP3 & o_inputP4 with a menu Switch statement so each player can actually choose what slot their controller will be in.

I have different modes the menus work in, but this is the 2 Player Mode menu, where when player 1, chooses Slot 0 the o_input.Controller_P1 = 0 only IF the other o_input objects are NOT equal to it. But, when I choose this option and press the button, the controller slots are not assigned like they should. This works on the 1 player mode menu, but not on the other multiplayer modes.

This code is really straight forward. With it basically saying: if Slot 0 is not assigned to ANY o_inputP2, o_inputP3 or o_inputP4, assign o_input to slot 0. But if ANY of the o_inputP2, o_inputP3 or o_inputP4 is assigned to Slot 0, then show a message saying that the slot is full.

I've tried this with global variables like: global.Controller_P1 etc. but it still does the same thing.

Each controller o_input object starts with the controller slot = noone. So each player can choose the slot.

Code:
// Create event

Controller_P1 = noone;

//User Event

action_one_ = gamepad_button_check(Controller_P1, gp_face1)
Here is some code from the Switch statement:

GML:
if o_input.action_one_pressed_ {
    switch (index_) {

case player_1_input_slot_select_2_player_mode.controller_slot_0:

// Sets P1 Controller Input to "0" Meaning P1 uses the first Controller slot.

audio_play_sound(Start_SFX, 10, false);

if o_inputP2.Controller_P2 and o_inputP3.Controller_P3 and o_inputP4.Controller_P4 != 0 {
                o_input.Controller_P1 = 0;
            } else if o_inputP2.Controller_P2 or o_inputP3.Controller_P3 or o_inputP4.Controller_P4 == 0 {
                show_message("Slot is full. Choose a Different Slot");
            }

break;
    }
}
My question is, why isn't o_input.Controller_P1 equaling 0, even though o_inputP2.Controller_P2 and o_inputP3.Controller_P3 and o_inputP4.Controller_P4 are NOT equal to 0?

Apparently instead of saying: if o_inputP2.Controller_P2 and o_inputP3.Controller_P3 and o_inputP4.Controller_P4 != 0

I need to actually do it like this: if o_inputP2.Controller_P2 != 0 and o_inputP3.Controller_P3 != 0 and o_inputP4.Controller_P4 != 0

Put the != at the end of each o_input check. I thought by saying and would group them together and check if they ALL when equal to 0.

Nidoking

The and (&&) operator groups booleans. Each check is a boolean. The input instances are not booleans. You won't get the results you want if you use boolean operators with things that are not booleans.