Constant collision checking with appropriate responses

V

vanguard2001

Hey guys i need help to create a program that will constantly check for collisions in front of it and auto correct it's course to fit it. It will maneuver around a parking lot looking room. With parking spots and everything. The entire program will be autonomous with no actual human intervention. What i have so far is that every step it will check in a certain direction that it needs to go and then if the area is clear it will drive to that spot. This is a self-driving car. So it is okay for it to kind of swerving in the lane it is driving in. Thank you whoever responds. I am mostly using drag and drop but i can do a little bit off actual script work. If you have questions just ask i will happily clear them up.

V

vanguard2001

Thank you but I have to stay away from paths. The main objective of my project is that a vehicle can autonomously drive around a parking lot. While also being able to drop someone off at a store front. It will then proceed to park itself and wait for a set amount of time then do the system in reverse and pick up the person and leave through the exit.

My lot is pretty simple it has an entrance and exit point on one side. The other side of the lot has a store front represented by a green border line. The lot has parking spaces with rows like most US lots.

The point of this project is so the car can drive parking lots without the use of map data or in this case paths. The reason I am designing it is because parking lots makes up 1/10 of available driving space. This would enormously cut how much hard drive space was needed in the car.

Thank you whoever responds I will watch the video and go through the tutorials some more. But my main question is can I get it to check for collision in a space and if nothing is there drive towards it

sp202

There is nothing wrong with paths for a self-driving car. I think you're assuming paths have to be created by the developer, but you can create paths on the fly to handle the "driving to" part. I'm not well versed in path finding but that's what I'd look into.

Also, the mp_potential_step, or other pathfinding functions do exactly what you're talking about doing yourself. It checks a certain distance ahead if the space is free, and moves there, or turns to avoid obstacles. Pathfinding functions are already programmed for you, you just need to fill in some numbers.

V

vanguard2001

Thx guys I had wrongly assumed some things about path finder based on what i was taught in school