CONSCRIPT - 2D WW1 Classic Survival Horror!

abeldev

You guys may remember my little 2D horror game called Project Abel. It has now morphed into a bigger and better project: CONSCRIPT!

CONSCRIPT is a 2D classsic survival horror game set during WW1 with a pixelart lowres aesthetic. It shares game design philosophies with classic Resident Evil and Silent Hill, such as: route planning, bizarre creatures, item management, emphasis on puzzles, strong audio design and fleshed out intricate environments.

Here are some random gifs and images of what I have been working on. I am aiming to have a demo released in around a month. Hopefully a kickstarter too eventually!

Some environments so far:

More gifs:

Trench Night Atmosphere

Watch your back!

Itembox

Breaking some barrels

If you guys are interested please follow me on twitter! Most updates are posted here.

https://twitter.com/ConscriptGame

Morendral

The animation of the guy freaking out covering his ears is incredible. Awesome job on the artwork! This looks to be better visually than any Lucas Art's game ever was.

Oh, the rifle rounds don't look like ammunition though, only criticism.

abeldev

Thanks guys!!

The animation of the guy freaking out covering his ears is incredible. Awesome job on the artwork! This looks to be better visually than any Lucas Art's game ever was.

Oh, the rifle rounds don't look like ammunition though, only criticism.
Thank you!
Yup, that sprite is still placeholder atm.

M

MEITdev

This game looks amazing, visually at least. Are you using GMS 2 for this project?

lolslayer

This looks stunning! I prefer the pixelated look over the HD images at the end of the post though, a personal suggestion would be making all the art pixelated

abeldev

This game looks amazing, visually at least. Are you using GMS 2 for this project?
Thank you and of course! That's why I posted here haha.
This looks stunning! I prefer the pixelated look over the HD images at the end of the post though, a personal suggestion would be making all the art pixelated
Thanks. When you view them in game they are actually zoomed in and you can pan around so it's consistent with the resolution of the over world.

abeldev

Hey everyone! Conscript has come along way in a short time.

So I'd like to reintroduce it!

During the First World War, a lone French soldier must navigate twisted trenches, scavenge for limited supplies and solve complex puzzles - all whilst fighting for survival in the midst of mankind’s most brutal and horrifying conflict. CONSCRIPT is a new take on classic survival horror.

WISHLIST ON STEAM: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1286990?beta=1

Visit the website: https://www.conscriptgame.com/
Follow progress on Twitter: https://twitter.com/ConscriptGame

CONSCRIPT is a project I have been working on by myself for 3 years now. It was inspired by both my passion for history and love of old school survival horror games. It takes inspiration from classics of the genre, with intertwining level design that promotes route planning, environmental puzzle solving, inventory and item management, methodical combat, and an intense oppressive atmosphere.

As a history undergraduate, I always felt that WW1 was an underutilised period of history in video games, and that it’s strange the majority of horror games default to contemporary settings. Naturally, the brutality and terror of WW1 go hand in hand with the survival horror genre.

In CONSCRIPT, you play as a French soldier searching for his missing-in-action brother during the Battle of Verdun. Will you be able to search twisted trenches, navigate overrun forts, and cross no-mans-land to find him, and ensure a home goes unbroken?
  • Experience classic and methodical survival horror gameplay in a unique historical setting: the Battle of Verdun.
  • Fend off enemy soldiers and disturbing psychological manifestations with a variety of melee weapons and firearms.
  • Navigate intricate level design that promotes item management and route planning, whilst solving complex environmental puzzles.
  • Survive in an intense, harrowing atmosphere boosted by a unique pixel art aesthetic and oppressive sound design.
  • Three distinct areas that intertwine and overlap.
  • Highly re-playable with multiple difficulty settings, alternate scenarios and bonus weapons.

capsule_main_workshop.png

This is my “official” introduction of Conscript to the world after 3 years of development.

I am hoping to have the game out on Steam by the end of 2020.

Let me know what you guys think! I am currently working on a demo for e3 time.

abeldev

The trailer looks and sounds fantastic. The survival horror tone comes through loud and clear. I like the animations and pixel art style.
Thanks so much! it's the first real trailer I've ever created. It was challenging but I feel like I did okay. :)

abeldev

I'm happy to announce that Conscript will be coming to Kickstarter on June 9th!

You can check out the KS prelaunch page here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/562623591/conscript-ww1-survival-horror

Screenshots21.jpg

Alongside the Kickstarter campaign, I'll be releasing a publicly available demo! I can't wait to see what everyone thinks of it.

EDIT: In order to give George Floyd's funeral service the respect it deserves on June 9th, I am going to be postponing the launch of my Kickstarter campaign to a later date. There are more important things going on right now. Please stay safe everyone!

Last edited:

abeldev

abeldev

The new and improved CONSCRIPT demo is available now on Steam!

The demo contains the entire first area of the game - the trench. It is a fairly large chunk of gameplay that can take anywhere from 45 - 90 minutes (depending on your classic survival horror skills). It's completely free, available to everybody and will remain up until launch. Not only that, but I built it to be highly re-playable with bonus weapons and costumes to unlock. Give it a try!

Zetroc

I have been following this game since before it was called conscript. I played that demo and the new demo you have on steam and I love it. I am a huge fan of Survival horror games and you have done amazing job of capturing that atmosphere within a 2d presence. Keep up the amazing work.

abeldev

May - June Devlop roundup!

• New weapons showcase
  • Roll/dodge move
  • New sprint & stamina mechanic
  • New HUD elements
  • Artillery system & setpieces

I don't know why this thread hasn't gotten more attention. This is one of the best looking games I've ever seen on this forum. Congrats on the kickstarter last year, and on the IGN feature. I'm sure your game will do great when it launches, too! Good luck, abeldev!

Zetroc

Game continue to look amazing to me. I wanted to back the game on kickstarter but I could not see a button anywhere to click on to support the game. Is the kickstarter still active ?

butuzoff

If I may say, I'm really looking forward to this one!
Please, write at least a short article about your development experience later! I mean technically. About how you made such a unique survival shooter and such an amazing visual.
I'm sure a lot of GML developers will be interested to know! I certainly am!

abeldev

Game continue to look amazing to me. I wanted to back the game on kickstarter but I could not see a button anywhere to click on to support the game. Is the kickstarter still active ?
Thank you! Kickstarter was back in 2020 unfortunately.

If I may say, I'm really looking forward to this one!
Please, write at least a short article about your development experience later! I mean technically. About how you made such a unique survival shooter and such an amazing visual.
I'm sure a lot of GML developers will be interested to know! I certainly am!
This is definitely something I have in mind for when everything is said and done!

abeldev