• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

UWP Connection to XBOX issue

K

Kamil Brzezinski

Since last GM2 update I can't connect to my dev Xbox One from Game Maker. I can't build or upload to test my game. IP and port is same as in Device Portal on my Xbox One screen. GM Support is not responding.

rIKmAN

Man discuss xbox stuff is not permitted in the "open" forum.
just see the Setting Up For XBox One Exports on the private console area
if doesn't work, just open a ticket clicking on the bottom page link: https://accounts.yoyogames.com/contact-us#select
If he's using the UWP export then it's fine to talk about, but it's hard to know given the little info that was posted.
"I can't connect to my dev Xbox One" could be referring to an actual dev kit or a retail XB1 in "dev mode".

funkygallo

If he's using the UWP export then it's fine to talk about, but it's hard to know given the little info that was posted.
"I can't connect to my dev Xbox One" could be referring to an actual dev kit or a retail XB1 in "dev mode".
yep you are right. I had forgotten that there is also UWP export

K

Kamil Brzezinski

I try to build or run for Xbox (UWP) and each time have issue. Doesn't matter which device is connected on other side. It looks like some Game Maker issue as it was working on previous GM version (before last update). As I assume no one else is using that feature on GM and no one can confim that issue. Is't not related to my game or code as I created even clean project and still getting same connection error. It looks like some firewall issue but I've switched off all firewall setup on Windows 10 and I can easily connect to device using browser.

rIKmAN

I try to build or run for Xbox (UWP) and each time have issue. Doesn't matter which device is connected on other side. It looks like some Game Maker issue as it was working on previous GM version (before last update). As I assume no one else is using that feature on GM and no one can confim that issue. Is't not related to my game or code as I created even clean project and still getting same connection error. It looks like some firewall issue but I've switched off all firewall setup on Windows 10 and I can easily connect to device using browser.
Just got around to testing this for you and have encountered the same issue.

Can deploy from VS 2017 to the XB1 without an issue.
Can connect to Device Portal and manage the XB1 from the browser.
Have tried both IP and Hostname and both fail (but both work in VS2017)
Can run UWP Desktop Apps fine from GMS2.
Firewall is off.
VS 2017 is up to date.
Windows 10 is up to date.

However it seems GMS2 is unable to connect for some reason on the latest version (IDE: 2.2.4.474, Runtime 2.2.4.374).

The error message I get is:
Code:
Unable to decode the returned string from dpdeploy:System.Net.WebException: The operation has timed out
   at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
   at dpdeploy.Program.HttpGetExpect200(String _uri)
Followed eventually by:
Code:
Error : Could not connect to device 192.168.0.25:11443.
Please follow the setup guide(http://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001100548) and try again.
If you can let me know the previous version you tried where it worked I'll test on that version too and let you know if that works.
Did you hear back from support yet?

@Nocturne
The guide is pretty out of date (2017) - have you encountered this at all or do you have any ideas what could be causing it?
Side note: the guide linked in the error message is the UWP Desktop guide, not the XB1 guide.

Last edited:
K

Kamil Brzezinski

Thank you @rIKmAN for confirmation. It was working fine on 2.2.3.436 version and just last GM2 version make it worst. I believe they didn't test it before release. Support asked me to create new empty project and try to build it (it failed) and send my logs. Since then even I wrote to them there was no answer.

rIKmAN

Thank you @rIKmAN for confirmation. It was working fine on 2.2.3.436 version and just last GM2 version make it worst. I believe they didn't test it before release. Support asked me to create new empty project and try to build it (it failed) and send my logs. Since then even I wrote to them there was no answer.
I'll test that version out later when I get time and let you know if that works here too.

The errors I posted above were using an empty room so your project isn't the issue, how long have you been waiting to hear back from support and did you send your logs like they asked?

E

eyethree

I've had the same issues since around July with connecting to my Xbox One. To circumvent the issue, I've been "connecting" to my PC's Dev portal, exporting the project on my computer, and then connecting to the Xbox Portal via web browser. Once connected to the Xbox Portal, I'd simply manually register the application and run it on the Xbox.

Not the way the tutorial says to do it, but it works for me.

rIKmAN

I've reported this as a bug and linked to this thread - will post back here when I get a reply.

@eyethree - thanks for the workaround, I'll give it go over the weekend.
Did you ever report it?

E

eyethree

I've reported this as a bug and linked to this thread - will post back here when I get a reply.

@eyethree - thanks for the workaround, I'll give it go over the weekend.
Did you ever report it?
At the time, I had no idea where to submit bugs. Something to do with Mantis being transitioned out? Anyway, no. I forgot about it over time, and it's just become my normal way to do it. Haha.

rIKmAN

At the time, I had no idea where to submit bugs. Something to do with Mantis being transitioned out? Anyway, no. I forgot about it over time, and it's just become my normal way to do it. Haha.
So you are basically just exporting with Build > Create Executable and then uploading that to the XB1 via your browser, then running it on the console?

E

eyethree

So you are basically just exporting with Build > Create Executable and then uploading that to the XB1 via your browser, then running it on the console?
Yes. Wouldn't connect directly to the Xbox One, no matter the settings in GMS2, my firewall, etc.

rIKmAN

Yes. Wouldn't connect directly to the Xbox One, no matter the settings in GMS2, my firewall, etc.
Alright just wanted to clarify, thanks for the confirming.

Obviously it's not working as intended (and as per the tutorial) so I'll report back and tag you both when I hear from support regarding the ticket and let you both know what they say.

rIKmAN

@Kamil Brzezinski @eyethree

I got a response from support today asking me if I was using authentication (username / password) to connect.

As it's Friday and they don't work weekends I am going to assume they are asking due to this ticket which I had already seen but which seemed to be a different error and error message - also I'm not trying to connect to localhost but to the XB1.

However in the meantime if you wanted to try removing the username/password authentication from the XB1 Device Portal and trying to connect then that might work based off the contents of that bug report.

I can't test until Monday otherwise I'd do it myself, if you do test please post the results back here and I'll feedback to support via my ticket.

K

Kamil Brzezinski

That was so easy! I've switched off authentication on Xbox and removed user and password from GM2 and it's working fine. Thank you!

rIKmAN

That was so easy! I've switched off authentication on Xbox and removed user and password from GM2 and it's working fine. Thank you!
Great, so it is the same bug - the description makes it sound like a different issue.

I’ll report back to support that turning off authentication fixes the connection problem and hopefully it can be fixed soon.

Thanks for confirming.

rIKmAN

Just tried removing the authentication on the XB1 and recompiling and it deploys fine so it seems it was the same bug as I linked above.

However the game looks completely washed out colour-wise and with artifacts on the sprites, but looks fine on UWP Desktop.
Have either of you experienced anything similar when deploying to XB1 @Kamil Brzezinski @eyethree?

gnysek

Gosh, I've just lost two hours, and it seems that disabling Xbox login/password for Device Portal is the solution...

R

RyuJin

@Kamil Brzezinski @eyethree

I got a response from support today asking me if I was using authentication (username / password) to connect.

As it's Friday and they don't work weekends I am going to assume they are asking due to this ticket which I had already seen but which seemed to be a different error and error message - also I'm not trying to connect to localhost but to the XB1.

However in the meantime if you wanted to try removing the username/password authentication from the XB1 Device Portal and trying to connect then that might work based off the contents of that bug report.

I can't test until Monday otherwise I'd do it myself, if you do test please post the results back here and I'll feedback to support via my ticket.
After almost a year and half, this bug still remains. It took me a day and half (and loss of hair) to find this solution. Thank you so much. I can finally go back to working on my game.