GameMaker Concerning the Roadmap as of Jul 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mazimadu

Hello all!

I took a gander at the recent roadmap posted by the Helpdesk Manager an honestly liked what I saw. Q2 has been quite a milestone and I am looking forward to all the features Yoyogames has planned.

What's really got me excited are the upcoming features. In the style of a comment I made back in 2017, here are my opinions on the once that caught my eye:
  • 9-Slices: I am surprised this didn't happen sooner, this is quite easy to implement
  • CI Building: An expanded version on the "Command line project building" listed last year. Not sure how this would work. Cloud based maybe? Who knows :rolleyes:
  • Colour tinting of tiles: Doesn't this already exist? In code? or maybe just for backgrounds?
  • Facebook Instant Games: We will see...
  • HTML5 Web Sockets: We will also see..
  • Local Multiplayer: Ditto
  • Sequences: What is this? Is this like timelines? Or cutscenes? Some explanation may be required. (If it is what I think it is, then I can finally kiss flash cutscenes good by)
  • Source Control Updates: Github was bought by Microsoft. Good news?
  • Sprite Attach Points. What the hell took you so long? I have been using spine/ds_maps for this for years
  • Todo List: We technically already have this in the form of notes
  • Video Playback: It's like playing catch-up with Mark Overmars:D

I'm interested in these personally:
  • Collision List Functions: if this is something like a spatial hashmap, I'd be absolutely thrilled. I'd been trying to code something similar for a few months now and if they add it officially that would save me a huge headache.
  • Non-AABB Collisions: I'm assuming this means more vector like lines and shapes? Built in support for multi line vectors and such (Rayman Origins style level terrain) ideally would be amazing.
  • Local Multiplayer: Am a bit confused here since we already have the gamepad functions, unless they're planning on streamlining them or something?
  • Wrapping Tilemaps: I'm guessing if you try to retrieve data from outside the tilemap, these will wrap around and return from the other side of the tilemap? Another thing I've been trying to code well recently, would also save me some massive headaches.

J

jubjub

My favourites are:
- Todo List: Will save me from using multiple notepad documents :p
- Video Playback: I don't know if I will make use of this but it is really neat

chmod777

Waiting for this. Should be on top of the list :)
If you compile in debug mode and take a look at the console in Firefox, you will see it is fulfilled with:
Warning: unreachable code after return statement
which are all related to the network functions (but disabled in a hard way), so I guess they will come soon.

breakmt

"Sprite Attach Points" is number 1 for me.
"IDE Language Resource" is number 2.
"Refactor" is number 3.

Also my wish is private/public methods for objects. Something is already exists (user events), but I want to be able to name them like I need and pass variables to these events.

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
You can already do that? What is this?
Probably iOS MultipeerConnectivity / Google's Nearby Connections APIs (both of which allow simplistic networking and matchmaking against players on the same WiFi or in BT reach)

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
To quote an addition from the recently updated Community Guidelines:
Please do not:
  • Speculate about GMS features or YYG policy - we don't want pointless speculation becoming rumour or being considered the "official" YYG point of view. Stick to known facts from official YYG sources please.

As this is a recent addition, I'm not blaming anyone here, but regardless of that, roadmap discussions should not be posted as they are almost entirely speculation - to a certain extent even from YoYo Games' side, as anything on the roadmap is tentative ("items listed are also subject to change or removal without notice"). Please stick to the known facts published by official sources, as such discussions may end up spreading as rumors or being taken as facts by readers, when, in reality, the "information" in such topics is sometimes as inaccurate and far from the truth as it can be.

Sorry, but I'll have to lock this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.