• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Compressed sound not working?

N

Nirwanda

For some reason when I use compressed sound for my game it doesn't work and I get messages like this:
(3): Could not open Ogg file C:\Users\Germán\AppData\Local\gm_ttt_60078\gm_ttt_51385\snd_hit.ogg
Could it be because my folder name has an á?
Uncompressed audio sounds fine, tho, but it really bloats my game file size.

Gamerev147

Try using a .mp3 or .wav format when you import the sound. Then once the sound is imported select the option to compress the file. Then Game Maker should automatically change the file to a .ogg. Hopefully the sound works after you take those steps. Keep me updated! Good luck.

N

Nirwanda

Thank you both for your reply, so it IS the á..... but the weird thing is that uncompressed audio works fine. Here, I made a video showing it:

N

Nirwanda

Nono, i didn't get it fixed, man. The video was showing the problem: when sound is uncompressed it works fine, when it is compressed it doesn't.

Gamerev147

Nono, i didn't get it fixed, man. The video was showing the problem: when sound is uncompressed it works fine, when it is compressed it doesn't.
Haha, my bad. I thought you had it fixed. Hmmm... I'll do some research and see what's up. I'll keep you updated.

Gamerev147

Ok, I think I may have a partial solution. So if the music file is a sound effect, just keep it uncompressed. The file size won't be much larger. As for the music, you may have to change the file type to a .wav instead of .mp3. Best way to do this would be an online converter.

N

Nirwanda

Hmm no sorry for the good inten tions but even as wav they won't work compressed. I guess I gotta get used to huge files :p

Gamerev147

Hmm no sorry for the good inten tions but even as wav they won't work compressed. I guess I gotta get used to huge files :p
Well once it's compiled as an installer, then the file size will only be large on the end user's computer. Unless you are making the game for yourself, that's a different story... Best of luck!

N

Nirwanda

Have you tried the current Beta version as I suspect this bug has been fixed

Russell
Uhh no, i chose stable at installation, but if it is a bug that will be fixed I can wait, thanks :)

Well once it's compiled as an installer, then the file size will only be large on the end user's computer. Unless you are making the game for yourself, that's a different story... Best of luck!
Lol that's what I'm worried about making a small game and having huge download. I don't want to annoy my possible players :p
Anyway, thanks for your continued interest. Apparently this is being fixed.