• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Complete Crash

I loaded up GMS like usual and tried to build and run and it output:

Can't find main()
Can't find main()
and another message about game.mp4 missing which was clearly in the resources panel

So I figured what anybody would do, reset the program and it might fix itself.
So. Worse.

All my resources, code, objects, sprites, musisc, etc. everything was lost and replaced with white boxes with exes on them.
I've attached an image of the nightmare. I was working on this project for 3 years. Gone down the drain. I am ready to sue
YoYo.

Attachments

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Load your latest backup - that's probably easier than even beginning to figure out whatever is going on there, let alone fix it.

Load your latest backup - that's probably easier than even beginning to figure out whatever is going on there, let alone fix it.
They are lucky I happened to have been at a milestone and I made several backups.
This is a bunch of ** though. This is the second time GMS crashed with those white ex boxes. Last time wasn't pretty and I didn't have a good enough
backups. Its gotten to the point where I have to make frequent backups. For as much as we pay for GMS we should have a reliable program.
And speaking of reliable, GMS has terrible support. There is no tech support line, not even a chat bot. Always have an email system and a forum the
sum of which I could write in a weekend. I'm fed up. I'll either switch to Unity or Unreal from here on out on my next project.

chamaeleon

Its gotten to the point where I have to make frequent backups.
What you meant to say, surely, is that it has gotten to the point where you have implemented hourly, daily, or upon file change backups that also have history of backup changes over time, using appropriate backup automation, along with source control, so that you do not have to think about backups yourself. I'll just put this down as a typo on your part.

I'm sorry @chamaeleon but I think its an YoYo this time. Even a rollback and version control would solve the problem with inherits YoYo's troubleshooting infrastructure. Sure, I could do a version control but it would not solve the situation . Instead of loading a backup it would be a rollback. The result would be the same, except for convenience, I would still have to restore from a previous repository. That's the first point. The second. I shouldn't have to backup my files because my IDE my one day randomly crash with no alert. How often do you see complaints of VIsual Studio or XCode crashing, ruining a project. Can you imagine an enterprise system crashing like my game did. It doesn't happen. There would be lawsuits left and right. 3rd point. Support. YoYo has no support system. Except emails. And not even emails but email forms. There is no person to person connection live connection. There is no no phone support. Ok. That's fine. There is no chat channel I guess that is ok. How about chat-bot that works during the day answering people question. One person. I mean wtf, you can't pay someone $30 an hour or less to answer's peoples quesotins?
So what are we left with. a forum. Save-your-self. We are left with answering our own questions. I'm not saying forums are bad or shouldn't be implemented, I'm just sayingfor 100s of dollars I expect a better product. You might say "well just go to another program". Unfortunately this is all we got. @chamaeleon I'm afraid you are wrong on this one friend.

chamaeleon

It may come as a surprise, but my comment should not be taken as a solution to the immediate problem. It should be taken as a best practices regardless of what you are doing or what tools you are using. I use several different programming tools and usually put a blank project into source control before I start doing anything in it. Backup is applied both to the git repositories that I clone into a working directory and the working directories as well. As far as backup is concerned I don't think about it, it just happen by itself on a schedule. None of it is done with gms in mind, it is just routine.

As far as gms is concerned you're not the first person to experience project corruption nor do I think you will be the last. With gms 2 a ton of changes were done under the hood I imagine, given the restructure of protect file content compared with gms 1.4. I can easily imagine a ton of new bugs creeping into the gui as a result, giving you a higher risk of project corruption. It sucks, and either you protect yourself, take your chances, or move to another tool. Only you can determine what is best for you.

Anyway, none of my comment has anything to do with the support or lack thereof by YYG.

Ok. That is more clear. I guess I can set up version control. Can't hurt any more , right?

Is there not built in version control? I can't find how to turn it out?

Last edited:

chamaeleon

Ok. That is more clear. I guess I can set up version control. Can't hurt any more , right?
If you do, I do not rely on the built in git functionality in gms myself. I use external command line and gui tools. I rather rely on tools used by hundreds of thousands or millions, instead the relative small number of gms users for this important aspect.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
To use the integrated Git client, turn it on in the main game options (Options -> Main -> Enable source control). After an IDE restart, this should enable the Source Control menu in the main menu bar. Note that this is a limited and stripped down version of what you'd get with a proper client, including just the basics - a full-fledged client will offer more options and flexibility.