Windows compiling with YYC still results in a data.win

Discussion in 'GameMaker Studio 2 Community Tech Support' started by Capptianm, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Capptianm

Capptianm Member

I always remember the YYC resulting in a single EXE file, but whether I compile with VM or YYC, a data.win file still shows up. Any ideas?

2. Nocturne

Nocturne Friendly Tyrant Forum Staff Admin

I'm pretty sure YYC never gave a single EXE, unless you were using GMS 1.4 and selected that option. There is no way with GMS2 to create a single EXE.

Kezarus likes this.
  3. rIKmAN

rIKmAN Member

4. TsukaYuriko

TsukaYuriko Q&A Spawn Camper Forum Staff Moderator

data.win used to be bundled with the YYC export even in 2.x, but this was recently changed so that data.win is never bundled. You'd have to use your own executable packer if you want this, but given that they can all be unpacked or unpack themselves on run, I'm not sure if it's worth the effort.

Kezarus likes this.
  5. Kezarus

Kezarus Member

Sorry, but I am just curious.

What does it generates at the end then? How can I send it to another person to test it? And to post on Steam or itch.io?

6. rIKmAN

rIKmAN Member

It generates an exe file, but generates a data.win as well.

To share it you would compile it to either an installer or a zip archive (or another of your choosing if you wanted to archive it manually).
    You can choose which method to use when you compile it as it will ask you whether you want an installer or a zip.

Amon and Kezarus like this.
  7. Kezarus

Kezarus Member