• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Linux Compiling Game Maker Studio 2 Projects on Linux

D

DarthTenebris

Hello everybody,

I have managed to install and run Game Maker Studio 2.2.1.375 with Runtime 2.2.1.291 on Ubuntu 19.04 with the help of Wine 4.0, however when I tried to compile for Ubuntu it couldn't recognize the host machine, and when I tried to compile for Windows, it didn't like it either.
Code:
"cmd"  /c subst Z: "C:\users\user\Application Data\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\GMS2CACHE"

elapsed time 00:00:00.1788990s for command "cmd" /c subst Z: "C:\users\user\Application Data\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\GMS2CACHE" started at 06/01/2019 21:19:06
"cmd"  /c subst Z: /d

elapsed time 00:00:00.1462190s for command "cmd" /c subst Z: /d started at 06/01/2019 21:19:07
"cmd"  /c subst Z: "C:\users\user\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP"

elapsed time 00:00:00.1473760s for command "cmd" /c subst Z: "C:\users\user\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP" started at 06/01/2019 21:19:07

elapsed time 00:00:00.1455370s for command "cmd" /c subst Z: /d started at 06/01/2019 21:19:07
"cmd"  /c subst Z: "C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\runtimes\runtime-2.2.1.291"

elapsed time 00:00:00.1637170s for command "cmd" /c subst Z: "C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\runtimes\runtime-2.2.1.291" started at 06/01/2019 21:19:07

elapsed time 00:00:00.1422000s for command "cmd" /c subst Z: /d started at 06/01/2019 21:19:07
Saving project to: C:\users\user\My Documents\GameMakerStudio2\Test Project\Test Project.yyp
"C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\runtimes\runtime-2.2.1.291/bin/Igor.exe"  -options="C:\users\user\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP\build.bff"  -- Windows Run

Igor complete.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
System.IO.IOException: Invalid parameter.

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError()
   at System.Console.set_OutputEncoding(Encoding value)
   at ..(String[] )
EXCEPTION FILE - C:\users\user\Temp\579ca5257265483cbd14c4bf7b9aac6b.yyg.saencryptedreport
elapsed time 00:00:00.3827130s for command "C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\runtimes\runtime-2.2.1.291/bin/Igor.exe" -options="C:\users\user\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP\build.bff"  -- Windows Run started at 06/01/2019 21:19:07
"cmd"  /c subst C: /d

elapsed time 00:00:00.1523420s for command "cmd" /c subst C: /d started at 06/01/2019 21:19:08

elapsed time 00:00:00.1691120s for command "cmd" /c subst C: /d started at 06/01/2019 21:19:08

elapsed time 00:00:00.1512380s for command "cmd" /c subst C: /d started at 06/01/2019 21:19:08
FAILED: Run Program Complete

The project I tried to compile is literally an empty GML project, with no modifications made at all. Is there any way to compile projects on Ubuntu (preferably be able to export to Windows as well, however Ubuntu only export is fine)?

Thank you for your time.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
First, why are you using an old version of GMS2 and not the latest?
Second, why are you trying to use an unsupported platform for the IDE (GMS2 is Mac and Windows only)?
Third, why use Ubuntu 19.04 when the specified compile target for GMS2 when compiling to Ubuntu is 18.04 LTS?

D

DarthTenebris

Well... Would installing Linux Subsystem for Windows allow me to test Ubuntu projects on Windows then?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
First, why are you using an old version of GMS2 and not the latest?
Second, why are you trying to use an unsupported platform for the IDE (GMS2 is Mac and Windows only)?
Third, why use Ubuntu 19.04 when the specified compile target for GMS2 when compiling to Ubuntu is 18.04 LTS?
You didn't answer any of the questions I asked? Getting an idea of what and why can help us understand and give you the how... ;)

D

DarthTenebris

You didn't answer any of the questions I asked? Getting an idea of what and why can help us understand and give you the how... ;)
1. I had that specific version's installer on hand, and didn't want to wait downloading the latest one.
2. I was learning Linux, but Windows softwares are often not available for Linux, and Wine was a potential fix if a user didn't want to pick an open source software (for example, switching from Microsoft Office to Libre Office).
3. I didn't anticipate using GMS2, when I started I was merely trying out Linux.

So... Yeah that's why everything I did was completely off the charts :p

Lukan

Gay Wizard Freak
Using the software on Windows allows you to compile to both Windows and Linux.
A VM of Linux on Windows can compile GM projects just fine.

Using older GM versions seems sketchy since the latest version doesn't have any super terrible bugs I know of.
I used GMS 1.4 on Wine for a year a while back, I could never find a way to make it do Ubuntu compile.
In theory it can be done, but it's unsupported and probably not a very good method for compiling.

D

DarthTenebris

Using the software on Windows allows you to compile to both Windows and Linux.
A VM of Linux on Windows can compile GM projects just fine.

Using older GM versions seems sketchy since the latest version doesn't have any super terrible bugs I know of.
I used GMS 1.4 on Wine for a year a while back, I could never find a way to make it do Ubuntu compile.
In theory it can be done, but it's unsupported and probably not a very good method for compiling.
That would mean I have to boot into Ubuntu to test my project... I only have 1 device which I can choose to boot into Windows or Ubuntu. Switching OS every time I want to test something doesn't sound very efficient. Wine doesn't emulate Windows, it simply translates Windows system calls to Ubuntu system calls, which I understand as meaning it takes less space than installing a full OS to emulate. My concern is that my machine wouldn't be able to handle 2 full OS at the same time, considering it's a few years old now with only an i5-4200U (2 physical cores, hyperthreaded), though it does have 12GB of DDR3 RAM. Any other suggestions?

Thank you for your time.

Seems like a Linux version of the IDE would be highly requested

Lukan

Gay Wizard Freak
I can almost guarantee the suggestion I gave is basically more than someone from YoYo would say to you.
Your machine is more than enough to run a virtual machine of Ubuntu, which can compile GMS projects.
The officially supported method is to have a second machine running the OS on actual hardware, which works much better than any virtualisation method will.

I don't think Wine has all of the underlying things needed to initiate compilation, I may very well be wrong though.
You could make a Windows virtual machine in Linux to run GMS, in theory that could target the host machine for Ubuntu compilation.

D

DarthTenebris

Alright, I've updated to Game Maker Studio 2.2.2.413 with Runtime 2.2.2.326 on Windows and a Linux VM (horrible lag, functional enough nonetheless I guess). The compiler no longer complains about anything, it just says "SUCCESS: Package program complete" regardless of execution method, running from the IDE generates a bunch of files in the VM, compiling generates a zip on Windows which I'm not sure how to run. Some of the files are executables and running them doesn't seem to do anything, neither does running it in the terminal. I've installed all the required packages as listed by this article and this article, with the exception of libcurl3:i386 which seems to be no longer available. Any idea what else I can try?

Thank you for your time.