• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

iOS compiling for ios devices

S

Stratos.la

hey all just a question! if i want to compile for ios but DONT have a Mac or iPhone can i do so with a virtual machine? Maybe even use Mac os on a desktop device? I read in the documentation that you are required to have a mac to compile for it, but say i only want to compile for phones and not desktop can i do so without a device or should i get an iphone?? i mean must i have a mac even for mobile builds?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
The Apple EULA states that you must own a physical mac and a physical phone to be able to publish on their platforms. Are there ways around this? Yes, but it breaks their terms and conditions... See the section on "additional questions" in this article where Apple clearly state it: https://developer.apple.com/support/enrollment/

S

Stratos.la

i see , im asking because i friend told me he could give me an old iphone if his, thats why im asking if i can compile using just the iphone as a device. like how i do for android ( even though i have android studio installed)

For iOS, you will need a Mac to compile apps. You can use an iPhone or an iPad as a target device for testing.
For Android, Android Studio runs on just about any OS. An Android phone, like an iPhone for iOS, can be used as a target device for testing. But, if I am not mistaken, Android Studio compiles apps on the PC and, just like the Mac and iOS, just sends the apk to the Android device.

S

Stratos.la

For iOS, you will need a Mac to compile apps. You can use an iPhone or an iPad as a target device for testing.
For Android, Android Studio runs on just about any OS. An Android phone, like an iPhone for iOS, can be used as a target device for testing. But, if I am not mistaken, Android Studio compiles apps on the PC and, just like the Mac and iOS, just sends the apk to the Android device.
yea im familiar with android , its just a client wants to also sell on ios but i dont have a developer account there or a mac thats why i thought maybe through an iphone i can compile it

S

Sybok

Nope.

You need a Mac, Apple developer license, iOS export, and preferably an iPhone. No way around that, I’m afraid.

That’s the cost of doing iOS apps.

I was just looking into the same thing. Have the same problem. My sister that works at a company that develops apps says they are using a virtual machine to emulate the Mac. I'm going to try that and see if it works.

Here, it says "Please note that, per your Apple Developer Agreement, we require you to have a real, physical Mac as well as your PC. We cannot support setting up a virtual machine or "hackintosh". "