• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Compiling Error: exited with non-zero status

C

CyanideFuse

Version: 2.0.5.74
Current Runtime: 2.0.5.49

On compiling my game I am getting this:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe exited with non-zero status (1)
elapsed time 00:00:09.5956412s for command "C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes\runtime-2.0.5.49/bin/Igor.exe" -options="C:\Users\WORK\AppData\Local\Temp\GameMakerStudio2\build.bff" -- Windows Run started at 02/28/2017 13:29:14
FAILED : Run Program Complete

I loaded a backup version from a couple of hours ago and it compiled. I believe I know what is causing the issue but why is another matter.

I had renamed a script to a new name using the resource tree and I made sure to alter any references to the previous script name. Upon renaming the script the resource tree would close any open folders and resort to the standard default layout. I also had issues at the same time when dragging items around to new positions in the tree as it kept closing the tree down. This is now working without any issues occuring.

I couldn't think what code could be causing this issue as I would have thought the compiler would notify me of mistakes to script references where I might be using the previous script name. So as a last resort (having reinstalled GMS) I thought I would add the previous script back in but with nothing in it other than a one line comment. And this fixed the problem.

So in short it seem like renaming a script to a new one, and even though I am referencing the new script name in my coding, has caused a problem. I have fixed this by putting an empty version of the old script back into my resource tree.

I have renamed plenty of scripts without this before so could it be a corruption somewhere?

EDIT:

It seems like I am getting this error instead of syntax errors. I hadn't closed a for loop correctly and this message appeared rather than a syntax error.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Please file a bug report, giving the exact details of the issue (or issues, if you have both an issue with renaming/moving scripts and the syntax error not being picked up).

C

CyanideFuse

I have now filed a bug report after doing some more testing.