• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Compilier runs, game crashes instantly

L

Linkforce

Alright so this seems to happen to me whether it be a new project or something I've been working on.
The problem is when I click the play button or the debug button,
It brings up the whole output window, Starts writing chunks and whatnot,
And then it brings up a message about exiting with a non-zero status
Then it just says the elapsed time right under and acts as if the game just finished.
No idea what's causing this. One time I deleted the only room and made a new one and it worked other times I just haven't gotten by it.
Thanks to anyone who replies.

J

Jarmar Games

Are you running any virus programs? If so try turning it off or excluding your project folder to rule out the possibility of this.

L

Linkforce

Hmm I just tried that, doesn't seem like it makes a difference though. Still says the same thing about exited with a non-zero statement, whatever that is.

J

Jarmar Games

Ok. I know I had problems in the past with Avast. It would just chew up everything. I had to exclude my project folder and the gms install folders to prevent interference. Well, lets see, what type of computer specs do you have? Did you install in the default location, etc. Have you tried reinstalling? Just going over the obvious things first off. Maybe someone will chime in with more suggestions. For the first time in a long time, GMS has been working for me without problems, happy to say. Oh what type of CPU are you running, memory? I use to have problems with my AMD based desktop sometime ago. Yet it runs smooth on my Intel based laptop. The location that it's trying to write to, does it have correct permission?

Last edited by a moderator:

Hyomoto

You have to look further up in the log, it's going to be even harder to read than the regular debugger but it will tell you what is wrong. Also, make sure you clean your cache. The compiled code may behave in ways that work fine in the VM. It may be somewhat the fault of the beta, but there are things that happen out of order or incorrect. I need to report this one, but this always returns 1 when compiled:
Code:
var = max( 1, irandom( 999 ) );
So even if your code does compile, there may be bugs. If it doesn't though, you need to check the output.

L

Linkforce

Alright couple things to say here, first off thanks for your responses.
Second, my Gamemaker v2.0 just ended up being in-runnable, not sure what the term is. Instead of my game crashing once it starts, now it's the whole software. I try to load up the project and it crashes, I've done a couple restarts and reinstalled it once or twice, but still no success.
Third, for clarification, the output is where the compiling takes place, correct?
And fourth, specifically for Hyomoto, what's VM stand for?

Hyomoto

VM is virtual machine. When you pick a compiler you'll notice you have VM and YYC as options, the VM is just the normal/default runtime option.

And yes, the output log is where the compiling takes place. I had the same response as you wondering why my project wasn't compiling and cleaning the cache is step one, but there may be other issues as well. Be sure to report them as some of them are probably bugs and not just compiler quirks, but most should be fixable by tweaking your code.