OFFICIAL Community Showcase Competition - Share Your Existing Games, Win Prizes & Get Promoted

peardox

Oh dear... mobile phone not happy. Its running latest GX (just installed it)

Screenshot_20211006_060157_com.opera.gx.jpg

Tablet not supported (I'll have to try the iPad later)

Last edited:

gnysek

I presume it's using OAuth2 so there's no need for this constant reauthentication and the site should be sensible enough to respond to put api calls (I guess that's how its working).
According to roadmap , SSO is coming in 2.3.6 (which they are working on now), so maybe this indeed will be improved.

Amazing! I'd love to take part in this competition but all my games have cryptic errors. Text on screen on startup says "exception thrown. look in console" and in the console, there is no exception thrown. Fun times! Do I overlook something or is this just something that's to be expected as we are literally the first wave of users and things still need to be ironed out?

1633564257029.png
Code:
*  YoYo Games Emscripten Runner V2.0  *
CommandLine: -game game.unx
ExeName= 0023cd28
MemoryManager allocated: 27602
GAMEPAD: Initialising SDL support
Attempting to set gamepadcount to 4
GAMEPAD: Setting up initial connections
GAMEPAD: Number of detected joysticks/controllers: 0
OpenGL: version string OpenGL ES 3.0 (WebGL 2.0 (OpenGL ES 3.0 Chromium))
OpenGL: vendor string WebKit
OpenGL GLSL: version string OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.00 (WebGL GLSL ES 3.00 (OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.0 Chromium))
Extensions:
EXT_color_buffer_float EXT_color_buffer_half_float EXT_disjoint_timer_query_webgl2 EXT_float_blend EXT_texture_compression_bptc EXT_texture_compression_rgtc EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic EXT_texture_norm16 KHR_parallel_shader_compile OES_texture_float_linear WEBGL_compressed_texture_s3tc WEBGL_compressed_texture_s3tc_srgb WEBGL_debug_renderer_info WEBGL_debug_shaders WEBGL_lose_context WEBGL_multi_draw OVR_multiview2 GL_EXT_color_buffer_float GL_EXT_color_buffer_half_float GL_EXT_disjoint_timer_query_webgl2 GL_EXT_float_blend GL_EXT_texture_compression_bptc GL_EXT_texture_compression_rgtc GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_texture_norm16 GL_KHR_parallel_shader_compile GL_OES_texture_float_linear GL_WEBGL_compressed_texture_s3tc GL_WEBGL_compressed_texture_s3tc_srgb GL_WEBGL_debug_renderer_info GL_WEBGL_debug_shaders GL_WEBGL_lose_context GL_WEBGL_multi_draw GL_OVR_multiview2
Anisotropic filtering supported, max aniso 16
Texture #1 16,16
Texture #2 16,16
Texture #1 16,16
Texture #2 16,16
finished(2)!!
Texture #1 1,1
Texture #2 1,1
finished(2)!!
Collision Event time(microsecs)=20

Mr Magnus

Viking King
Did you know you could display the player's name and avatar in-game on GXC, and make it pretty?
oohh, good. I can start my username-and-avatar collection! I hope that's not against any policies.

Joke aside, the fact the GXC api allows us to pull out the user id of the player playing is actually pretty handy: allows me more easily to identify which player matches up with which highscore entry without having to store a random id locally.

c023-DeV

Since I'm not hearing anything on the related threads I started:

Is the debugger working on the Opera Target for everyone here?
Does the Pixel interpolation option have any effect for you? (Blurry Pixels)

Also my upload gets stuck on "Uploading..." (progress bar is full, but I get no "success" message and the game does appear in the dev cloud...)

I can just hope that performance is not part of the judgement, because it's impossible for me to profile my game atm. It works great on windows with plenty headroom...

O.Stogden

Also my upload gets stuck on "Uploading..." (progress bar is full, but I get no "success" message and the game does appear in the dev cloud...)

I can just hope that performance is not part of the judgement, because it's impossible for me to profile my game atm. It works great on windows with plenty headroom...
I cannot get the debugger to work right now.

The interpolation does make a difference.

Uploading is a little dodgy, but it should finish and let you click the "edit" button at the bottom.

Best you can do is try in Windows VM and expect performance a little lower than that. You can use show_debug_overlay to get an idea of your FPS in the Opera export.

c023-DeV

Super strange, the interpolation has no effect here, even with a fresh project...

aa.jpg

Also the debug overlay looks great, nothing overly taxing to be noticed. I've halved down all drawing and optimized my lighting ...

Can only imagine that it might be something with the Audio... but this is just guesswork and starting to rip apart my whole game... guess all I can do is submit it and hope that it works better on their machines.

O.Stogden

Hey! Just an update to say that submissions have been extended to 21st - also be sure to set your games public! We have an updated video showing how:
So I really didn't need to spend my vacation working on my entry then. 🤦‍♂️

Ah well, that's neat I guess, gives me a few days to playtest and make doubly sure there's no bugs, I was going to submit tomorrow after only a day of bug testing.

Pixel-Team

Master of Pixel-Fu
I think the size limit is too small on video trailer uploads on my GX game. I couldn't upload a 30 second trailer that was 48.5 megs, so I crunched it down to 28.4, and it said even THAT was too small. Nowhere does it say what the size limit is, so I can even get my trailer to an acceptable size, but honestly, I think 48.5 megs should be allowed. Just saying.

O.Stogden

I think the size limit is too small on video trailer uploads on my GX game. I couldn't upload a 30 second trailer that was 48.5 megs, so I crunched it down to 28.4, and it said even THAT was too small. Nowhere does it say what the size limit is, so I can even get my trailer to an acceptable size, but honestly, I think 48.5 megs should be allowed. Just saying.
For sure, any video under 50MB is hardly a trailer. Most trailers run about 150-200MB, as they usually should be good quality (1080p60) at least. :/

I also wanted to ask what's up with the looks? Not interpolating makes it better but it still looks washed out compared to the windows export. Is that normal? Can I change it?

Oh, and also I uploaded the game and tested it via the link and it popped up fullscreen and I couldn't close it anymore. That's probably not intended. How do you handle that?

Oh, and the audio is still not working perfectly. Am I a single case or is it 'normal' that you get a small 'pop' sound when stopping any audio on that platform?

But overall, just to not sound so negative, this is great! This could be really good to test out ideas, throw them out there, see what sticks, and then develop them further. Just like SuperMeatBoy and Ridiculous Fishing!

O.Stogden

I feel like there was a change in visuals in the Opera GX export from 2.3.5 to 2.3.6 beta, the beta seems a lot more pixelated and less smooth...

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
Did you know you could display the player's name and avatar in-game on GXC, and make it pretty?
View attachment 43463
Here's a new tutorial covering how the user's avatar can be loaded and displayed in-game as a round image: https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/4408583385489
I dont really have an idea for a game....
oooooo
Think I have an idea now

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
I'll ask about this. Thanks for the feedback.

mogwash

Hi -
Opera GX keeps crashing when I click "Play Now" on the published game page.
I've tried different project files & running everything in admin mode. I have latest install of GM & GX.
Is this happening to anyone?

GM staff, here's Local Crash Context: ee1f838a-d8db-491a-aef8-f944e73f05cc

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
Hi -
Opera GX keeps crashing when I click "Play Now" on the published game page.
I've tried different project files & running everything in admin mode. I have latest install of GM & GX.
Is this happening to anyone?

GM staff, here's Local Crash Context: ee1f838a-d8db-491a-aef8-f944e73f05cc
Yeah. Sorry - odd known issue! Should be a fix going later this evening.

dadio

Potato Overlord
GMC Elder
Just installed this and started fiddling.
Same crash on play as above...
also date of birth entry/age entry - days only go up to 30 - 31 is missing.

c023-DeV

I've got some more questions:

the rules say:

"
Additionally, the Submission may not contain any of the following:

- personal information (e.g., email address, name, phone number, Opera account details);

"

Does that mean that I can't write my name into the credits of my game? Also my Logo is my website, can I leave that in?

hey hi,
quick question: I added a challenge to my game, made it public, and saw that someone else also already took part in it.
I can't figure out how to browse games other people have already uploaded onto the platform! What am I overlooking? All I can find is this "coming soon" page ...

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
I can't figure out how to browse games other people have already uploaded onto the platform! What am I overlooking?
That's not available for now; as the site says, it's coming soon. If your game was played then it must have been played by someone from Opera internally for testing purposes.

Jman

Is there a specific time for the submission deadline? I understand that the last day to submit games to the competition is October 21, but
it would be nice to have a specific time for a deadline. I haven't found one on the FAQ or blog.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Is there a specific time for the submission deadline? I understand that the last day to submit games to the competition is October 21, but
it would be nice to have a specific time for a deadline. I haven't found one on the FAQ or blog.
Via Terms and Conditions:
The Contest begins on Thursday, Sept 30 2021 at 12:01 AM Central European Time (“CET”) and ends on Monday, October 21, 2021 at 11:59 PM CET (the “Contest Period”). The Sponsor's computer will be the official clock for the Contest. To win a Prize, all Entries must be received during the Contest Period.

c023-DeV

Wait: "ends on Monday, October 21" What calender is this then? (My calender says 21.October is tomorrow?!)

Also: I didn't get an awnser to clarify the rule about putting my name in the credits and my website beeing my logo. Could someone please let me know if that's ok? I'm pretty sure this rule relates to privacy concerns and may just be a standard clause and my name and website should not be a problem in that regard afaik but I don't want to be disqualified for such a thing.

InvaderKazz

Wait: "ends on Monday, October 21" What calender is this then? (My calender says 21.October is tomorrow?!)

Also: I didn't get an awnser to clarify the rule about putting my name in the credits and my website beeing my logo. Could someone please let me know if that's ok? I'm pretty sure this rule relates to privacy concerns and may just be a standard clause and my name and website should not be a problem in that regard afaik but I don't want to be disqualified for such a thing.
Yeah, had same doubt after reading your post. I did have my name, my nickname and an e-mail for bug reports in the credits section. I just took all those away just in case. I am assuming they may want to leave all contact through the opera account. My recommendation would be to just remove it for the moment, in my case it was just comment some draw text.

EDIT: Some spelling mistakes, me dumb.

I'm kinda sorry that I'm posting my technical questions regarding OperaGXC here in this thread but I'm really not sure where else the appropriate place on this forum would be?

I added a challenge to my game but I somehow wasn't able to test it locally. Long story short my first challenge online was in the wrong format so it set up a new one and disabled the old one.

Now I can see both challenges when I visit my public page but the first challenge leads to a dead page, which is undesirable. I also tested the public link in an incognito google chrome window and there only the public challenge was visible. So now I'm confused. It would be such a strange design decision if this was working the intended way ...

So can anyone share some experiences regarding the topic? Can anyone confirm either way what they are seeing when they visit my page? https://gxc.gg/games/48caf715-a8fa-40a9-b32f-cc1891156ef5

Thank you so much!

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
I'm kinda sorry that I'm posting my technical questions regarding OperaGXC here in this thread but I'm really not sure where else the appropriate place on this forum would be?

I added a challenge to my game but I somehow wasn't able to test it locally. Long story short my first challenge online was in the wrong format so it set up a new one and disabled the old one.

Now I can see both challenges when I visit my public page but the first challenge leads to a dead page, which is undesirable. I also tested the public link in an incognito google chrome window and there only the public challenge was visible. So now I'm confused. It would be such a strange design decision if this was working the intended way ...

So can anyone share some experiences regarding the topic? Can anyone confirm either way what they are seeing when they visit my page? https://gxc.gg/games/48caf715-a8fa-40a9-b32f-cc1891156ef5

Thank you so much!
Afaik, you can't test challenges locally? Which would make sense as they require a URL... As for the challenge you made being visible on your own pages, that is by design. Basically, at the moment, you can't delete a challenge so it's always visible to you even if it's inactive. I have spoken with one of the guys involved in the GXC and suggested they permit devs to delete challenges, and they said they'd look into it, but - if implemented - it'll only be available for challenges that were never made public (which makes sense too, as you don't want to wipe the scores of users after challenges have been played). I've also requested that they add the ability to clear challenge data so that you can test a challenge privately, then clear the test data before you make it public. :)

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
You can; it's also described in the tutorial, but it may not be functional at the moment and not sure whether it would be going forward.
LOL! Nice! Was that always there???? Or has it been added recently as I swear I've read through that page and never even noticed the massive section titled "Testing Challenges Locally"... 😂

Oh, and I do hope they maintain/fix this functionality going forward. It seems pretty essential, and would have saved me a LOT of upload/test/upload/test loops while iterating over my own projects for the GXC...

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
I haven't yet delved much into the GXC API, but wouldn't it mean that - with only one challenge active at the time - people need to specifically plan for getting a given hiscore (longest time alive, most rescues, highest combo, whatever)? Or is there some separate API for always-active leaderboards/achievements that can be submitted to independently?

I just feel having to specifically activate a challenge makes the process unnecessarily complex for the player, when the game could just keep track of each leaderboardable variable independently and submit them all at once. If special modes are required (like e.g. time attack with just 1 minute to do whatever), it's perfectly possible to limit submitting the mode-specific score if and only if the player played that mode, within the game itself.

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
I haven't yet delved much into the GXC API, but wouldn't it mean that - with only one challenge active at the time - people need to specifically plan for getting a given hiscore (longest time alive, most rescues, highest combo, whatever)? Or is there some separate API for always-active leaderboards/achievements that can be submitted to independently?

I just feel having to specifically activate a challenge makes the process unnecessarily complex for the player, when the game could just keep track of each leaderboardable variable independently and submit them all at once. If special modes are required (like e.g. time attack with just 1 minute to do whatever), it's perfectly possible to limit submitting the mode-specific score if and only if the player played that mode, within the game itself.
Normally you would need the challenge to have been activated via the URL, but theoretically you should be able to just submit a score to whichever challenge you want regardless of the state of the game. This is not something the GXC API Library allows by default though, you would need to modify a bit of its code.

Mr Magnus

Viking King
Quick question because this kind of determines what I'll do tomorrow: I am working on my game adding online high scores (because this game simply isn't complete without them).

How can I add in a new version without disqualifying myself for updating the game after the deadline? Are you going by "last live version published before the deadline" or do I have to wait for ten days before I'm in the clear?

dadio

Potato Overlord
GMC Elder
Are all these games going to be made live now? Soon? When? Very interested in seeing what people put up there...

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
You can do exactly this. One of my games, Haxor, has 101 challenges and you can do any of them by using the challenge links, or just play the game organically and have the challenges submitted as they're done. Basically, I simply duplicated the challenge submit function and added in an extra "challenge" input parameter (commenting out the _challenge parameter in the actual function so it's now gxc_submit_challenge(_score, _challenge, _callback)). Then, when a player completes a challenge in a normal playthrough, I just submit using THAT function and the ID of the challenge they have completed, and the user never even knows as it doesn't take them out the game or anything. So, basically, if you set the challenge ID when you submit a challenge score, you can complete ANY challenge, regardless of how the game itself was started.

Are all these games going to be made live now? Soon? When? Very interested in seeing what people put up there...
Afaik, it'll be the 30th of this month when things go live initially (although I could be wrong and this could change... :p )

mogwash

Quick question because this kind of determines what I'll do tomorrow: I am working on my game adding online high scores (because this game simply isn't complete without them).

How can I add in a new version without disqualifying myself for updating the game after the deadline? Are you going by "last live version published before the deadline" or do I have to wait for ten days before I'm in the clear?
Hi Mr Magnus
In the Opera press release (not the rules doc) it says: “Game creators are allowed to keep tweaking their games during the competition.”
I assume this includes after the submission period, it would be good to have clarity as
I would like to add online high-scores also.

O.Stogden

Hi Mr Magnus
In the Opera press release (not the rules doc) it says: “Game creators are allowed to keep tweaking their games during the competition.”
I assume this includes after the submission period, it would be good to have clarity as
I would assume the "Competition" is now over. The deadline was the 21st, this is just the judging period, regardless of if you tweak your game now, there's a good chance Opera staff/judges have already played your game, so they wouldn't see any tweaks you make. Given that they've only got about a week to play and judge all the games.

I'd say by now they've probably played at least 25% of the games uploaded. Unless they delay the results announcement, which I think might happen, if they got a lot of submissions.

Results are announced on the 30th (supposedly, but I'm doubtful), which means they need to have really played every game by the 28th or 29th, and then discussed what the best games are to come up with the 45 prize winners.

Wasn't the results announcement meant to be the 30th before the time was delayed? Seems like Opera haven't given themselves a lot of time to do the judging here.

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
Hi Mr Magnus
Yes, it's fine to keep tweaking your games :)