Commodore 64 exporter?

funkygallo

Hi,
I know it's only a dream, but I really would like a C=64 exporter and maybe some other 8 bit computer like Zx Spectrum or Msx

Surgeon_

Symbian Curator
I'm sorry to say this, but those machines couldn't support the Game Maker's runner on its own, let alone a game on top of it.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
What's next, wishing for an export that runs on the ENIAC?

This is just plain dumb, YoYo has better things to spend its time on.

Roa

This requires very low level coding and efficiency, which gamemaker couldn't do even if conversions were made. Go learn to code for the C64 outright if that's your interest.

jazzzar

^^ This is probably the best bet.

Coding on the C64 is actually pretty easy, as everything is mapped out in RAM and always in the same place.

If you want to make a black screen you just do this.

Code:
LDA $00        ;Black
STA $D020    ;Border
STA $D021    ;Main screen area
(If I remember correctly. It has been 30 years since I did this - LOL)

Fun fact - if you watch Terminator 1, all of the assembly language you see scrolling on the screen is 6502 (C64) assembly language. :)
Uhhm 30 years ago? How old are you man :p

Reactions: Roa
V

Vectorhead

I'm sorry if I dig this old topic up again.
Will there are now plans for a retro export module, for example, c64, amiga, snes, sega genesis etc.
or is that absolutely not unquestionable?

I would be very happy about a C64 exporter because I still play very actively with the C64.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Unsurprisingly, there have been no announcements regarding this. Support for Raspberry Pi devices was added recently in the form of support for the Ubuntu ARMv7 platform, though.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Tell me the technical feasibility and return on investment for each of those exports. I see nothing but a big fat NO on both fronts.

GM is owned and maintained by a corporate subsidiary, not a mom-and-pop shop. It does not matter if those exports would make you happy. If it is not technically feasible, they won't do it. If it is not profitable, they won't do it. Exporting contemporary GM to these decades-old platforms is neither technically feasible nor profitable.

Surely someone old enough to have played on a C64 should have been an adult long enough to understand these implications.

V

Vectorhead

Hi there

I asked a perfectly normal question that I expected a perfectly normal answer to.
But apparently that is not possible.

I'm sorry, I am not familiar with the development of GM2, so I don't know whether this is even possible, how much work and from what number of units sold it is also profitable.
I also realize that YOYO Games / Playtech is not a corner shop.

You don't have to worry about my age, I would have understood the whole thing in normal words.
Now I wonder who the adult is.

But everything is fine.

Best regards

Elodman

Tell me the technical feasibility and return on investment for each of those exports. I see nothing but a big fat NO on both fronts.

GM is owned and maintained by a corporate subsidiary, not a mom-and-pop shop. It does not matter if those exports would make you happy. If it is not technically feasible, they won't do it. If it is not profitable, they won't do it. Exporting contemporary GM to these decades-old platforms is neither technically feasible nor profitable.

Surely someone old enough to have played on a C64 should have been an adult long enough to understand these implications.

why always aggressive? :p
Right @Vectorhead,
sorry for the sad impressions,
unfortunately, no truth or ethics exist nowadays, or ever.

Gamer (ex-Cantavanda)

〜Flower Prince〜
On a more serious note, the meaniness in this thread makes me a little sad. Everyone once wondered if GM could maybe export to these very old systems, because it would be cool. So even if it's very unrealistic, it's not nice to talk down on people who just ask it. All you're doing is ruining their mood. You can explain it's impossible in a nice way too.

Elodman

on truth, not the technical side was meant - naturally, or seems not naturally for some / most of this community.
(perhaps u excuse me, if I don't present and introduce u myself and my skills )

Rather the extremely limited scope in which the members, and generally the childish, impertinent indie community is capable of thinking,
and the intolerable style which is allowed here - and everywhere.

Yeah, @Vectorhead just press those emoticons and report button, as this quite a biased, sometimes rotten, sometimes wonderful & DIY place.

Last edited:

Pixel-Team

Master of Pixel-Fu
Your best bet is to teach yourself 6802 Assembly Language. You can learn how to do this on YouTube, and there are excellent tutorials on it. You can make programs that will run on C64, NES, and z80 Spectrum with nearly the same code. And you can compile assembly code on a C64 Maxi, a brand new retro console c64 with working keyboard. Check out 8-bit Show and Tell on Youtube. Leave Gamemaker Studio for modern systems. As for the meaniness of this forum, don't sweat being admonished by veterans. It toughens the skin and builds character. Good Luck!

Your best bet is to teach yourself 6802 Assembly Language. You can learn how to do this on YouTube, and there are excellent tutorials on it. You can make programs that will run on C64, NES, and z80 Spectrum with nearly the same code.
In case anyone wants to try it and has trouble searching for it in the future, it's actually 6502 assembly language ;)

Also, the ZX Spectrum uses a Z80 processor, not a 6502. There are several major differences between programming for the two, so unfortunately it's not going to be an incredibly easy port, unlike going from C64->NES.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
In case anyone wants to try it and has trouble searching for it in the future, it's actually 6502 assembly language ;)

Also, the ZX Spectrum uses a Z80 processor, not a 6502. There are several major differences between programming for the two, so unfortunately it's not going to be an incredibly easy port, unlike going from C64->NES.
You could always learn BASIC

You could always learn BASIC
That you could! But BASIC programs on the C64 run a LOT slower than native ASM. I do think if you're going to spend the time to learn how to program on a retro system, you should either go all-in or do something else. Alternatively, getting a Raspberry Pi and programming stuff for that is a decent proposition.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
That you could! But BASIC programs on the C64 run a LOT slower than native ASM. I do think if you're going to spend the time to learn how to program on a retro system, you should either go all-in or do something else. Alternatively, getting a Raspberry Pi and programming stuff for that is a decent proposition.
Definitely starting to see a few users use the Raspberry Pi for some cool projects, I've been meaning to give it a shot but all my supppliers for an Pi 4 are sold out. :(

Definitely starting to see a few users use the Raspberry Pi for some cool projects, I've been meaning to give it a shot but all my supppliers for an Pi 4 are sold out. :(
Nothing wrong with getting an older model! Pi 3s are a great entry point and can be had for cheap. One big bonus is that GM can actually export to the Pi 👍

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
Nothing wrong with getting an older model! Pi 3s are a great entry point and can be had for cheap. One big bonus is that GM can actually export to the Pi 👍
From what I heard the Pi 3 is much weaker compared to the Pi4, Im not expecting to run a full game on any Pi but a simple program that isnt basic text

Japster

I'm sorry if I dig this old topic up again.
Will there are now plans for a retro export module, for example, c64, amiga, snes, sega genesis etc.
or is that absolutely not unquestionable?

I would be very happy about a C64 exporter because I still play very actively with the C64.
Hey @Vectorhead , nothing wrong with the C64 - I still play mine! classic stuff, and the SID chip..... love it.... :D

Ps - Some of these younger guys would do well to take a look at the older games for cool ideas - that's what shone through with some of the classic 8-bit games, in lieu of amazing effects etc, and you will find stuff that's unique in amongst the many copies, with gameplay ideas or mechanisms that even now, sometimes haven't been implemented in modern games!... :)

Ps - It's not as crazy as it sounds, to dream of exporting *something* you created, TO these old systems.... GMS2 will almost certainly NEVER (even if it were possible, which I 100% doubt) do this (it's sadly pretty unfeasible given the old <1Mhz C64 6510 CPU and 64KB memory, for example, compared to our 2,000-5,000 x faster dev environments!), but for an interesting look at what you suggest, you should check out Adventu...(ahem)...ron.... Outputs to a huge range of the old computers, natively.... Only creates graphical text adventures, but it's VERY impressive for what it does, as an example of what you suggest... ;)

Last edited: