Portfolio - Programming [For Hire] Professional programmer looking for interesting projects!

Shavv

About Me

15+ years of experience in Game Development.
Based in the Netherlands, time zones are no issue because of flexible schedule.
Specialized in building unique concepts.
Highly motivated for interacting with new projects.
Exeprienced working with clients for over 8+ years.
Doing services over 4+ years on this forum.

*Not available for profit-share commissions*

Services I provide:

Networking
Procedural Generation
Unique concepts
Databases
UI / UX Programming
2.5D Engines
Tutoring
Saving and Loading data
Game Design
Level Design
UI Design
Platformers
Action RPG's
Sidescrollers
Beat'em'ups
Sandboxes
Realtime Strategy
Turned based mechanics
Collectible and Classic Card Games
~ And much more ~

Services I don't provide:
3D
3rd Party Networking
Advanced Physics

Previous Work
https://imgur.com/a/ygHtZFk#nekB3jM

Developer of:
https://twitter.com/AlterraGame

Contact me if you have any questions, want to see more examples of my work
or interested in my services.

Use my
Discord link or add me by discord name: "Shavv" to get in quick contact!

Have a good day.

Last edited:
O

Otyugra

I'm interested in hiring you, as we need help with level design and coding alike. First, I have some general questions that seem worthwhile to ask publicly:
  1. How long, in vague, ideal terms, are you looking to be employed? About a month or so? A year? Two weeks? (We'd like to hire someone for several months)
  2. What are your most important goals out of this experience?
  3. When it comes to payment, is there a minimum below which you refuse? Let's say I offered to pay you North Carolina's minimum wage, as my company is based there even though we do our work online instead of a physical location. Would 7.25 USD an hour be so low that you'd refuse to work for that much? That's not actually what we'd offer to pay you, that's just an example. It seems to me that you are offering your service as a "Work-for-Hire," not an employee, meaning the employer can pay under minimum wage, doesn't have to offer health insurance or a 401k.
  4. Would getting a large percent of the profit, say 25 percent, for example, change your mind about question number 3? In other words, would a huge payout at the end make a smaller pay in the meantime more bearable? Speaking from experience and from watching GDC videos, it's not uncommon for an indie dev company to have a leader who doesn't get paid anything at all until their game succeeds on launch day and pays for things out-of-pocket, therefore is better equipped to share their eventual profit, rather than pay a wage.

Shavv

I'm interested in hiring you, as we need help with level design and coding alike. First, I have some general questions that seem worthwhile to ask publicly:
  1. How long, in vague, ideal terms, are you looking to be employed? About a month or so? A year? Two weeks? (We'd like to hire someone for several months)
  2. What are your most important goals out of this experience?
  3. When it comes to payment, is there a minimum below which you refuse? Let's say I offered to pay you North Carolina's minimum wage, as my company is based there even though we do our work online instead of a physical location. Would 7.25 USD an hour be so low that you'd refuse to work for that much? That's not actually what we'd offer to pay you, that's just an example. It seems to me that you are offering your service as a "Work-for-Hire," not an employee, meaning the employer can pay under minimum wage, doesn't have to offer health insurance or a 401k.
  4. Would getting a large percent of the profit, say 25 percent, for example, change your mind about question number 3? In other words, would a huge payout at the end make a smaller pay in the meantime more bearable? Speaking from experience and from watching GDC videos, it's not uncommon for an indie dev company to have a leader who doesn't get paid anything at all until their game succeeds on launch day and pays for things out-of-pocket, therefore is better equipped to share their eventual profit, rather than pay a wage.
Heey Otyugra. I would like to adress your questions one by one.

1. Im looking for all kinds of jobs. Depending on the project I could estimate wether what would be a good idea. Its all project based.
2. Most important goals out of this experience for me is a succeeding project.
3. Yes there is. But it all depends on the project.
4. It is actually common to profit share, but only with beginners in developing games. When you look at it as a proffesional, profitshare is very uncommon unless you are from the same studio, because its not reliable.

Last edited:
R

RandyM

discord did not work - have some inquiries to see if you are interested in some work. discord is randymids#4064

S

Sarcasmonk

I am a very new developer in general and have been teaching myself gml from online videos and the help manual. I am working on a platformer/rhythm game of sorts. I dont have much to offer but was wondering if I could atleast get some advice or feedback on my idea. or to see if you were interested in helping me develop it if the idea of the game interests you enough. The current art is all palce-holder art that i made in about 10-20 minutes per sprite. I will be looking to either have a friend help me with it or work more on it myself. I have taken college courses on coding and art, but didnt finish either so just looking to follow my passion of game development on my own time. could use help/advice

Shavv

I am a very new developer in general and have been teaching myself gml from online videos and the help manual. I am working on a platformer/rhythm game of sorts. I dont have much to offer but was wondering if I could atleast get some advice or feedback on my idea. or to see if you were interested in helping me develop it if the idea of the game interests you enough. The current art is all palce-holder art that i made in about 10-20 minutes per sprite. I will be looking to either have a friend help me with it or work more on it myself. I have taken college courses on coding and art, but didnt finish either so just looking to follow my passion of game development on my own time. could use help/advice
Good to see you being excited, hence why I will give you some golden tips for platformers:

- Use your own variables for everything. Friction, acceleration, gravity, horizontal speed, vertical speed and much more. Make them on your own and think about how they would work all together.
- Use pixel perfect collisions. This will prevent a lot of troubles later on.
- Make sure you setup your player configuration by easy variables, example: Maximum jumps the player can do before reaching the ground.
- Make sure you leave space open for the player to register inputs after a condition. What I excactly mean by that is for example, if your player just walks off a ledge, you still want to make sure the player can perform a jump for a small time after. This will make sure the game feels smoother. You can use this concept for practicallly anything else in the game also and you will notice a big difference.

Be sure to stay motivated!

S

Sarcasmonk

Good to see you being excited, hence why I will give you some golden tips for platformers:

- Use your own variables for everything. Friction, acceleration, gravity, horizontal speed, vertical speed and much more. Make them on your own and think about how they would work all together.
- Use pixel perfect collisions. This will prevent a lot of troubles later on.
- Make sure you setup your player configuration by easy variables, example: Maximum jumps the player can do before reaching the ground.
- Make sure you leave space open for the player to register inputs after a condition. What I excactly mean by that is for example, if your player just walks off a ledge, you still want to make sure the player can perform a jump for a small time after. This will make sure the game feels smoother. You can use this concept for practicallly anything else in the game also and you will notice a big difference.

Be sure to stay motivated!

as far as the pixel perfect collisions, would i want to have pixel perfect collision on all of my enemies and on my player? or just player? because i have had a few issues with collisions where i have a shield on my character that has a square hit box larger than my player and when i run into an enemy the shield breaks but kills the enemy, but sometimes it would kill the enemy but also kill me at the same time because it somehow registered that i got hit too. even though theres quite a few pixels of difference in size from shield hitbox to player hit box

Shavv

as far as the pixel perfect collisions, would i want to have pixel perfect collision on all of my enemies and on my player? or just player? because i have had a few issues with collisions where i have a shield on my character that has a square hit box larger than my player and when i run into an enemy the shield breaks but kills the enemy, but sometimes it would kill the enemy but also kill me at the same time because it somehow registered that i got hit too. even though theres quite a few pixels of difference in size from shield hitbox to player hit box
You want pixel perfect collisions on everything, since that helps with further collision problems. See a topic about it here: https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/pixel-perfect-object-based-collision.30739/

Shavv

I'd like to chat with you about my project and hiring you for full-time work which I estimate taking about 3-4 months. I tried to DM you on Discord, but no luck. Here is my handle: luminray#3056
Hi Luminray, I accepted your friend request and send you a message!

M

MikeTheTech

Hello Shavv,

I'm interested in your services. I currently use the TwitchIO extension to detect when people comment certain things in Twitch chat. However, I'm moving to StreamLabs OBS as a platform (they have their own API that detects comments, donations, etc.) and would like to use that API instead of Twitch. Is this something you could assist with?

Shavv

Hello Shavv,

I'm interested in your services. I currently use the TwitchIO extension to detect when people comment certain things in Twitch chat. However, I'm moving to StreamLabs OBS as a platform (they have their own API that detects comments, donations, etc.) and would like to use that API instead of Twitch. Is this something you could assist with?
Hi MikeTheTech,

Unfortunately would I have to say no, i'm afraid I couldn't assist you with that, if a extension for that has to be made. If there is already a existing working one, I could help out, but I suppose you meant development on the extension for the API.

C

Crobin49

I have been working with Shavv for a few months now. He is very dilligent with his work, and has never missed a deadline. You will not regret having him do work for your project!

Antsel

Hello, my name is Anstle
I'm starting the creation of a game for a sci-fi dungeon crawl (top down) and wanting to create a demo of it first. This is my first game that I am creating so much of the engine is new to me. Looking for a guide to assist in getting me started so a few others and I can finish the project.

Roden124

Having a bit of experience with GameMaker myself, I'm someone who likes to commission unique engines.
As such, my requests often require long and verbose walls of text...and, as fun as they are to write, I forget the people I send them to often have busy lives of their own!!!

Shavv has been very patient with me and our engine is developing smoothly.
If you're on this page looking for help, he's a solid programmer and a great contact!