1. Hey! Guest! The 35th GMC Jam will take place between November 28th, 12:00 UTC - December 2nd, 12:00 UTC. Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

GMS 2 Command for viewing calulations in debug

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Nezun, Nov 8, 2019 at 11:03 PM.

1. Nezun

Nezun Member

Howdy! I'm currently working on some RPG elements and I'm struggling to figure out a solution for smooth damage progression. One of these hitches is that I currently do not have a visual representation of the damage the player character is dealing, outside of the enemy HP bar.

So the question I implore is: can I display the damage calculation in the debug window using the show_debug_message() command?

Thanks for any and all help!

2. rIKmAN

rIKmAN Member

Just concatenate a string showing the info you want.
    If you want to mix text and numbers you need to wrap the number values in string() when outputting them with show_debug_message()

Code:
    attack_value = 10;
    multiplier_value = 3;
    random_buff = irandom(5);
    damage = (attack_value * multiplier_value) + random_buff;

show_debug_message("damage = ( attack(" + string(attack_value) + ") * multiplier(" + string(multiplier_value) + ") ) + random_buff(" + string(random_buff) + ")");
    show_debug_message("damage = (" + string(attack_value) + " * " + string(multiplier_value) + ") + " + string(random_buff));
    show_debug_message("damage = " + string(damage));

Would output:
    Code:
    damage = ( attack(10) * multiplier(3) ) + random_buff(5)
    damage = (10 * 3) + 5
    damage = 35

Would probably be easier to store the values at the point of the damage calculation, and then draw the values to the screen though.

Nezun likes this.