• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Forum Issue Combating inappropriate topic bumps by recent members

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Recently there has been a sharp rise in necro-posting and topic hijacking by "students". More specifically:
  • They're finding old topics via search engines and frequently trying to disturb old users who have since moved on.
  • They're posting belated "I agree" or smart-alec "here's how I did it" replies to old GM problems that have already been resolved or are no longer relevant.
  • They're putting up "I have the same problem" necro-bumps that any experienced user would know is a completely unrelated problem, and diluting the reference value of existing topics.
It's quite obvious by now that they're too dumb and hasty to read timestamps or rules before posting, and they're quickly becoming an everyday nuisance. Could YoYo staff please start cracking down on this and set up measures impeding this kind of unwanted activity?

XenForo already has several plugins like this one that automatically shut down topics after a period of inactivity, and leave a clear message saying that the topic is old and how to make a proper new topic. That will keep archived topics clean of irrelevant new additions and offer an opportunity to force newcomers to read the guidelines before posting. There has to be a limit to our hospitality.

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
It's quite obvious by now that they're too dumb and hasty to read timestamps or rules before posting, and they're quickly becoming an everyday nuisance.
Not always. After all, we encourage members to search before posting new topics. And new or inexperienced members may not notice a topic's age before posting. That's understandable.

Second, not all "necro posts" are bad. Sometimes, members bump old topics to provide solutions that haven't been discussed before. Those bumps may add value. So moderators don't automatically delete them.

That said, those XenForo plugins might be useful. That's good information.

Mert

Not always. After all, we encourage members to search before posting new topics. And new or inexperienced members may not notice a topic's age before posting. That's understandable.

Second, not all "necro posts" are bad. Sometimes, members bump old topics to provide solutions that haven't been discussed before. Those bumps may add value. So moderators don't automatically delete them.

That said, those XenForo plugins might be useful. That's good information.
I solved some of my brain-destroying problems with necro posts. It seems like most people just abandon their posts after they find the solution, and some of them edit the post and add the solution into the post. Sometimes, necro posts and those little bump ups are really helping me.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
I would rather not reply on third party plugins for something that can be resolved as easily as hitting the report button. By reporting these members the moderation team can decide what to do...