Combat - Focused Metroidvania

poorlocke

I'm taking a break from the Infinity Engine Project and the last couple of weeks on my free time I started working on a metroidvania. This is the combat demo, I would like to hear some ideas to juice it up. Screen shake and camera zoom is good and all, but I think during combat it needs that extra "oomf". What do you guys think?

Mechanics and AI update

Last edited:

basementApe

Ooh.., very Blasphemous-esque. It's looking very good so far. I think a good way to make your combat feel more satisfying is to have your characters put more weight into their moves. You have some anticipation and good follow-through in your animations, but the skeleton and the main dude especially don't look like they're putting their body weight into their swings. Get them to put their hip into it. Make the swords feel heavy. And don't be afraid to exaggerate a bit. Realism is overrated and pixel-art is kinda stylized by default anyway.

muki

The art is superb! Really good job with that!

First thing that jumped out at me is your swings seem to pass through the enemy most of the time without feedback. Especially when you're button-mashing. Are the swings missing? If so, the mechanism of a "miss" isn't properly telegraphed to the player.

AI seems to be slow, and doesn't react to you very quickly. Maybe this is intentional. The "slow lumbering" enemy type.

The enemy dying animation on slopes will have to be fixed, but you probably already know that.

poorlocke

Ooh.., very Blasphemous-esque. It's looking very good so far. I think a good way to make your combat feel more satisfying is to have your characters put more weight into their moves. You have some anticipation and good follow-through in your animations, but the skeleton and the main dude especially don't look like they're putting their body weight into their swings. Get them to put their hip into it. Make the swords feel heavy. And don't be afraid to exaggerate a bit. Realism is overrated and pixel-art is kinda stylized by default anyway.
The characters are by Sven and LuizMelo and the environments by Szadi, I only did the main character and that was based on a blueprint by Sven. I think if I add a little more anticipation to the enemy I can make it have more weight. As of now, this is the speed that I want the player to animate, I want it to be spammy and then parry when the player makes the read, kinda like Sekiro.

The art is superb! Really good job with that!

First thing that jumped out at me is your swings seem to pass through the enemy most of the time without feedback. Especially when you're button-mashing. Are the swings missing? If so, the mechanism of a "miss" isn't properly telegraphed to the player.

AI seems to be slow, and doesn't react to you very quickly. Maybe this is intentional. The "slow lumbering" enemy type.

The enemy dying animation on slopes will have to be fixed, but you probably already know that.
I actually noticed the swings too, as a safeguard so that the enemies don't get spammed to death without a chance to fight back, every time you hit them it builds a poise variable and when it maxes out, it allows them to ignore the knockback(but not the damage). What I did to fix it is that I added screen shake in every swing, even when the enemy has poise.
You got that right about the AI, these are the easiest enemies in the game!
As for the dying animation, I'm thinking of either making them disappear to dust or produce body parts and have them tumble down.

Thank you both for your input!

Last edited:

basementApe

Nice! Another thing you can try to make the hits feel more impactful is to give the animations (player and enemy) a short pause; 0.2 seconds maybe, right when the attack connects.

poorlocke

Ok new update:
- Thanks to basementApe I added a screen freeze when the player's attacks connect.
- I also tweaked the ai so the enemies can attempt to catch the player's dodge if they dodged too early.
- I also added a 20 step delay between dodges so the player cannot chain dodges.
(The dodge doesn't cost anything and if spammed it could make for an obvious exploit if I didn't make those 2 changes.)
- I finally added the ability to either spring upward or forward after a successful airborne attack. These abilites can be unlocked by the player to access new spots that they previously couldn't.