• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Colorizing Sprite Layers & Importing Layered Sprites

M

MadTinkerer

Does anyone know if there is an easy way to colorize or even address individual sprite layers? Also, is there any way to import assets from programs such as Piskel with the layers intact? I'm asking, because I'm trying to have character customization as a feature in my game.

In GMS2 we finally have layers in the sprite editor. In the old sprite editor you could colorize the entire sprite. You could also change the blend color and do tricks with shaders. But what I want to do is not just rotate the hue of every pixel in a sprite, but specific pixels. Like change a character's hair color without changing anything else. Or change their eye color without changing anything else. I could set up the different layers of the sprite for the different parts to customize.

Or make one flame sprite with two layers for the red and blue parts and then be able to change each part to any hue I wanted. This could be for a static torch or some spell effect.

So do I just make a bunch of separate sprites and have them drawn in specific order with a bunch of draw_sprite_ext commands? I know that's what I'd do with GMS1. But I'd rather have some way of making a single sprite with layers in (for example) Piskel, importing it to GMS2, then be able to manipulate the layers of the sprite individually at runtime.

M

MadTinkerer

Okay, so... Basically there's no way to do it in vanilla GMS2 without coding my own system.

I knew PixellatedPope was working on his thing a couple years ago, but I hadn't realized how far he'd come with it. I was kind of hoping there was a solution in plain GMS2 and I was just overlooking it in the documentation, but oh well.

Thanks, anyway, guys.