Color Palette?

Discussion in 'Game Design, Development And Publishing' started by ajan-ko, Nov 23, 2018.

1. ajan-ko

ajan-ko Member

Between these three screenshot.
    Which one do you prefer? I mean the level of curiousity to download and play it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  2. Lucia

Lucia Member

I prefer this one :)

3. Toque

Toque Member

Number 3

4. JasonTomLee

JasonTomLee Member

2 with an extra color or two!

5. Yal

Yal Member GMC Elder

I think 3 just looks noisy, 2 has more "style" in it and looks the best overall. But I think 2 kinda loses the saturated foreground 1 had, so it just looks kinda washed-out and it's a bit unclear what's foreground and background. 1 has that, but the contrast between the blue and the red doesn't look so appealing. Something like this would be ideal IMO, going for the high contrast red-white-black instead of a just getting a desaturated halfway-there palette that is neither colorful nor stylish:
    upload_2018-11-24_18-7-51.png

ajan-ko likes this.
  6. HeWhoShallNotBeNamed

HeWhoShallNotBeNamed Member

The skyline seems to "pop" a little more in the 2nd screenshot. But you should add a little bit of color to the robot to make it stand out from its surroundings. Try screenshot #2 with mech #3.

7. sitebender

sitebender Member

The first one with the blue.

8. NeonBits

NeonBits Member

I go with the first, if it's for curiosity.

But I go with the third, if it's for presenting quality; but I would remove the ninjas at the sides of the robots and keep the one under; hum, maybe pick a place where the platform is not so low for the ninja? The health bars seem too much for presentation but would look ok if it was behind a game package, dunno why..

9. ajan-ko

ajan-ko Member

I will go with the 1st, lot's of people like the 1st one.
    The 3rd is polished, but that's because we implement it on GM2 and using fog effect, so it's not fair. The overall it's too noisy and too colorful.

I'm going to use the 1st one, while the monochrome red and black (Yal Idea) is a good idea, it just lack of atmosphere.

10. ajan-ko

ajan-ko Member

I already fix the 3rd one, I change the color tone. This is overall the rough draft.
    The color pallete will represent uncertainity/uneasiness, it has those weird pink/purple color.

[​IMG]

Since the UI, I change the main ui into 2 main color, blue and yellow.
    The mech/unit pallete need to changed, but overall this is the direction I'm going.

I also find the dark stage quite nice, but the problem is, I don't know how to implement this in the game. It's too dark, the player cannot see the platform.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  11. Widget

Widget Member

I think you've gone overboard with the striped warning marks. I don't know for sure, but I thought they meant "don't go past this line", and would only make sense if on the ground or a platform, not columns or any place where someone physically can't go to. Even then, there might still be too much, as it's a sign for danger and they're placed on (seemingly) not so dangerous walkways.

12. muki

muki Member

Try and go with less contrast with the backgrounds to make the foreground/platforms pop more. Glance value on platforms is pretty important (glance value in this context is by glancing at the screen, can a player immediately identify what is "solid" and not confuse that with the background).

Reducing contrast can be omitting the one or two darkest colors used in background tiles (like the black outlines), and also the brightest. Or as simple as opening the background tileset in an image editor and decontrasting it in there (I wouldn't do this though, too little control over individual colors).

For my platformer, I use a control object to manually draw all my layers, and I use that opportunity to draw a semi-translucent sprite of just a basic color between the foreground and background, it's like a layer of fog and helps add distance to the layers.

13. muki

muki Member

Another way to put it is black outlines on shapes make an object or platform feel solid to the player. This is good for the foreground, but probably unwanted for backgrounds unless you have a very specific idea in mind.

I'm kind of a fan of using entirely different color tones for backgrounds and foregrounds too! Sometimes that can work.