• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Discussion Collecting

Gamer (ex-Cantavanda)

〜Flower Prince〜
In this late-stage capitalist society we live in (US and Western(Eastern?) Europe), we have a lot of privileges that most of the world does not have.
Most of us on this forum have money to spend on things that we like, but that aren't exactly needed.
Video games is an example of this, and software and hardware to play and create these on. Many people need to work all the time, and are barely able to feed themselves and their families, and they don't have access to luxury products.

In this world of wealthy European countries and American States, there has been a manifestation of this wealth: Collecting.
The money that goes into one collection of material goods, would be enough to feed a lot of people who need it.
But I don't think it is nececarrly a bad thing. People do what they want with their money, that's their right. They just shouldn't forget that not everyone has this privilege.

Do you collect something?
What I would GUESS, is that many people here collect retro video games!
I personally don't collect that, but I'd love to some day in the future! It's just that I barely have time to even play any games, and there's more than enough games in my Steam library that are unplayed. So instead of buying second-hand retro games, I just play the games in my Steam library, and try to get all achievements with all of them. There was a time, around 2013-2015 where I bought so many games in Steam sales. Almost all the games I play are bought in that period, but just remained untouched or unfinished.

What other things to people collect? A lot collect VHS or DVD movies. It's also not something for me, since I have even less time for movies or series.

Some birds collect shiny things, that's funny!

There is something I do collect obsessively. Music. Listening to music is something you can do and fully enjoy, while you're doing something else: Like studying, working, jogging, walking, gamedev, etc...
Music is a lubricant for society, it makes things fit well together. In other words, music can fit into any activity and enhance it.
I collect cassettes and CD's of Japanese rock bands from the 90s and early 20s, but of course, I love all kinds of music, such as The Beatles, QUEEN, Michael Jackson, Nirvana, Chet Baker, RAMMSTEIN, Sergei Rachmaninoff, Franz Liszt, Alexander Scriabin and many more.
But these musics I don't collect, only the Japanese rock.

My autism makes this collecting extremely detailed. I have an Excel sheet with every single item I own, when bought, details of the item (release date, label, catalog number), price I paid, seller, website bought, and so on!
I also like scanning and ripping my music to put it on my phone. As a result, I don't have Spotify, and don't use YT all the time to listen to music. It's mostly self-ripped music.

Do you collect something?
Tell me!

Joe

Over the years I've collected much equipment for my shop to make things. Although it would take me forever to catalogue my collection of tools and equipment, I can very easily share a portfolio of projects I've worked on in the past. I plan on adding many more pictures, just haven't found time.

JOE'S COLLECTION - Home (weebly.com)

edit:
gold and silver as well, you crypto nuts are gonna cry when the power goes out.