• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Collaborating With Someone Who Uses Trial Version

P

Pyxus

*Not sure where to post this off topic seems good, but I'd appreciate a mod moving me to wherever they see fit.

Basically, I'm in group for my COSC course and for our final project and we've decided to make a simple quiz game. I figured gamemaker would be a good tool since it is fairly easy to learn and Im competent enough with it to teach it to my group members who are more or less new to programming. I know the trial version of GM have some limitations so I'm wondering what might be the best way to work together? I'm afraid if we use git they'd run into issues if I accidentally did something to the project that the trial didn't allow.

I'll take any suggestions! Im not partial to GM I just thought its simplicity + me already knowing it could save time so if you know any good engines or framework that a novice could reasonably learn in about a week I'm all ears.

Dog Slobber

Trial version can't use source control. So your only option is sharing files manually.

There are also resource limitations that will create problems should you bypass and then they decide to load the project .
https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/230407528-GameMaker-Studio-2-Trial-Limitations

I think your best bet is to take on the hosting of source and assign non-gamemnaker tasks to other team members. Design, graphics question research. Your role will be to program.

Realistically, it's not reasonable for team work actively with GMS given they're beginners, without proper source control and resource limited software.

Mercerenies

Trial version can't use source control.
True, but even then there's still the option of going outside GM for source control. When I collaborate with people for GMC Jams and the like, I still use git from the command line, not from within GM. So it's certainly possible to do so.

P

Pyxus

Trial version can't use source control. So your only option is sharing files manually.

There are also resource limitations that will create problems should you bypass and then they decide to load the project .
https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/230407528-GameMaker-Studio-2-Trial-Limitations

I think your best bet is to take on the hosting of source and assign non-gamemnaker tasks to other team members. Design, graphics question research. Your role will be to program.

Realistically, it's not reasonable for team work actively with GMS given they're beginners, without proper source control and resource limited software.
True, but even then there's still the option of going outside GM for source control. When I collaborate with people for GMC Jams and the like, I still use git from the command line, not from within GM. So it's certainly possible to do so.
Yeah for the source control I was planning on using command line git not GM's built in thing. My main concern there is just how the trial would react to loading a project but after looking at the limitations importing a project wouldn't even be possible. I am the main programmer more or less with everyone else focusing on something else but since it is a compsci class they are required to do some programming as well. I'm thinking the best way to approach this is for them to use the gm trial to compile and test code, and then just send me their objects and scripts.