GML Coding Fundamentals in GML Tutorial Series

samspade

New video on Scripts Basics Part 2. This one went a little long and probably should have been broken into several shorter videos.

samspade

New video on Arrays (part 1):

One thing I should have noted more clearly is that while you can 'destroy' arrays in the method I mentioned there is generally no reason to. GameMaker Studio 2 handles array variables just like normal variables and will clean them up for you, so the situation where you would need to manually get rid of one is rare. However, people ask from time to time so I thought I would include it.

Last edited:

samspade

New Video on Recursion! Don't worry, the other two data structure videos are coming. I just took a break to talk about recursion. Recursion turns out to not only be hard to get but hard to teach. This one could have been better and I do highly recommend the videos linked in the description.

kraifpatrik

(edited)
GameMaker Dev.
Recursion is a powerful tool! It may be hard at first to wrap your head around it, but once you get used to it, it enables you to write solutions to some problems much easier than in an iterative form. Traversing tree-like structures is a good example for that. Nice vid, keep them coming!

samspade

New tutorial on ds_maps! It was supposed to be part 2 of recursion but for some reason the audio didn't record. I'm surprised it took this long for something like that to happen.

samspade

Tutorial on the call stack is up. It's pretty straight forward because, to be honest, I only have a basic understanding of it, but hopefully I didn't say anything too wrong and you find it helpful for the same thing I do, understanding how local scope works and debugging your code.

samspade

Tutorial on the basics of asynchronous code!

It's not an area I have a lot of experience in so let me know if I made any mistakes.

samspade

Part 2 of recursion is up! I apologize in advance for misspeaking in a couple places (such as confusing left and right and up and down :) ) and not having more diagrams.

Last edited:

samspade

Great work, please continue it
Thanks! This series is actually wrapping up in a week or two. But I will update it once 2.3 hits official release and I may add some other videos in here and there. I do have several other series I'm thinking about though and I will continue making videos, possibly with a slight delay, once this series if finished.

samspade

Tutorial on Graphs posted. It's longer and I tried something new: typing while talking and actually typing out the code. I'm not sure how it went.

samspade

New Data Types Tutorial Up (note that this is not the video on structs and methods just about the data type that these things create, those tutorial are coming).

samspade

A tutorial on writing functions in 2.3! This is a generalized tutorial on writing functions, focusing on those things which are true for all functions (whether named or unnamed). Specific tutorials on writing script functions, method variables, anonymous functions and so on are coming.

samspade

A tutorial on garbage collection! This is getting outside of the area that I'm comfortable in, so if I made any mistakes, or was unclear, let me know so I can pin a correction comment or something.

Elodman

thanx.

Very in-depth tuts, watched the ones about Functions, from diff. tutors.

Subjective impressions on that very topic:

@samspade: content: 10, presentation: 5
@matharoo: content: 8, presentation: 9
@ "S.S.": content: 3, presentation: 1

Good luck.