GML Coding a basketball game.

2.5D Worlds

Hi everyone, I don't know where to go for this so I come here. You see, I am making a mini game for my GDD plan in game maker. I would like to make a basketball with my characters. This sport is perhaps one of the most intense thing to program in gaming in history because of the AI.

What would it take to make an offense play that would help run around asking to pass the ball to them and have the player.

A defense to defend the hoop on each side

These would both be under opposing home and visitor teams.

I don't really code but I'd like practicing a genre I never tried before.

I'm sorry if this post seems out of place here. I'm fairly new to the forums.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
You will certainly need to learn some AI here. Knowledge on State Machines will help with implementation as well. And certainly, it is going to take some learning how to code to make this happen. I don't see D&D stuff being enough to do this unless you have some extremely convoluted D&D going.

2.5D Worlds

You will certainly need to learn some AI here. Knowledge on State Machines will help with implementation as well. And certainly, it is going to take some learning how to code to make this happen. I don't see D&D stuff being enough to do this unless you have some extremely convoluted D&D going.
Maybe I'll have to test with an 4 or 2 players then go on from there.

Yeah, I'd start with either a 1-1 NBA-JAM type thing for starters. Once it's solid on a small scale, it's easy enough to expand.
That said, I personally tried my hand at a couple sports demo, and (surprizingly to me), it's still pretty much the hardest genre of game to tackle in 2D (that's just me, of course).
Looks simple, but really isnt!
Didnt find the line between an unbeatable AI and a too stupid one, pretty much, lol. Collisions are sometimes a ***** to manage too!
But hey, if you're dead set on it, I say go ahead, you'll learn stuff you can use across the board after going through that! Maybe it'll feel like bootcamp, but you'll be much better at it in the end.
You can also check this out, this author has a series of book on every single genre you can imagine

Last edited: