Code Snippets and Scripts

M

Marcus12321

Which forum would be a good choice for code snippets or small useful scripts?

I posted one in the tutorial section, but I guess it did not qualify as a tutorial. The only problem is, none of the other forums really seems appropriate either...

M

Marcus12321

Is that site related to this site? And I don't mean just are the scripts GML. I mean, is there some sort of business connection or something?

Also, the scripts do not have the GMS 2 headers. They have their own comment section, instead of the GMS 2 header, that does everything they are asking for in their requirements, plus it makes using the script easier in the IDE.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
If you have several such scripts and snippets then you can bundle them up and make them all into a single post for the tutorials forum. If they are all adequately explained then I think it would be okay (although @chance is the one to give you the do's and don't on that one). Alternatively, take a bit of extra time and make them into a marketplace package with a demo room (or two or three) to showcase them. You can then put it on the YoYo Games Marketplace and post in the marketplace forum. If you really want to post them seperately, then simply make a post in the Programming forum, although I'd prefer that you grouped them at least a little - by type, or style or usage, etc...

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
Is that site related to this site? And I don't mean just are the scripts GML. I mean, is there some sort of business connection or something?
No formal relationship or connection, although many GMC members use that site. It's an excellent repository of useful scripts. And it's well organized. Your script would make a nice addition IMO.

As I said in my PM, it's clear you have some GML skill so I hope you submit other examples. You could expand on the debugging script you submitted earlier. Or as @Nocturne said above, you could group together additional examples of debugging tools and combine them into one tutorial. Just try to group them by a common theme. Unrelated assortments of scripts aren't good choices for GMC tutorials.

(And remember to use the topic template described in the pinned topic.)

M

Marcus12321

I did submit it at GMLScripts. I just didn't know if there was a proper place on this site.

I like having a repository of code snippets to look through easily; nice to see techniques and uses.

I actually think a sub-forum or at least topic just for one-off scripts would be a great idea. I'm not a fan of bundling things together just to make them most presentable. Sometimes you just want to get right to the point, right, and don't want to bother with marketplace assets or tutorials.

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
I actually think a sub-forum or at least topic just for one-off scripts would be a great idea.
(snip)
We've had such topics before. Some submissions were useful. But many were trivial or obvious examples from beginners. Not as useful as structured tutorials from more skilled users IMO.

GML Scripts is a good resource from (mostly) skilled users. I doubt the GMC can improve on that. So no reason to duplicate it here.

cgPixel

I don't know why gmlscripts.com is so hyped.
Yes, the scripts are top notch.
But the site lacks quantity and activity.
You can also confirm this by checking their Github.

It usually takes months/years for something to happen there.
I loved the old GMC scripts section, I've visited this section on a daily basis.

Kind Regards

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
Some useful examples there. Importantly, that forum's moderator enforced standards, so most examples followed proper syntax, and provided comments. And many topics had brief explanations and short examples of use.

So many of those script submissions would be fine in the GMC Tutorials forum. The two forums aren't really that different.

If the script provides a significant utility beyond the basic functionality found in the manual, and is non-obvious, it might be fine. Topics should contain the information template (GM version, short description), along with an explanation and example of use.

And if submissions are rejected for some reason, we can discuss it. I always PM members about rejections and suggest how to fix problems. Or I suggest alternatives. Our goal is to approve topics and expand the forum.