• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Distribution Code Signing Certificate

I have been trying to deploy my GM application in my webpage. My webpage has SSL/TLS certificate. I have uploaded the NSIS version of my program. It downloads the program with no problem. However when I open it windows displays a warning that my program has an unknown publisher. I'm sure this is attributed to the fact that the program doesn't have a Code Signing Certificate. Anyone by any chance know how to get a code signing certificate for a game maker application? I'm trying to deploy my application for Windows platform. Any help would be appreciated.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
To fix this you basically pay a lot of money to someone to send you a certificate that you then use to sign the EXE. The whole thing (imho) is a bit of a scam, as these certificates are INCREDIBLY expensive for what they are, and they provide little real guarantee to the end user, as there is nothing to stop malicious users from buying a certificate (and this happens a LOT). It also doesn't mean that Windows Defender won't cause issues either, which is another common thing I0ve seen! So, basically, you pay a lot of money to get a CA to give you a *.pfx file which you then use along with MS sign-tool to generate your signed EXE, but there is no guarantee this will actually be of any benefit to you.

I would honestly say that unless you are sure you are going to recover the money paid and that a LOT of people (like hundreds of thousands) are going to download your game, then it's just not worth the bother. Most PC owners are aware that the warning is simply Windows being overprotective and will run the EXE anyway as they know where they downloaded it from and know the risks involved. If they downloaded it in the first place, then it's a fairly safe bet they'll run it too.