• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Code of The Savage

Geoff Jones

Hi. I would like to get some feedback on the artwork for my upcoming RPG "Code of The Savage".
The game is inspired by the 80's classics Ultima 4-5 and the game/movement mechanics will function similarly. Sprite scale is not meant to be accurate, as was the case in the original Ultima games. The sprites are more of a representation of the object than anything else. Thanks for your feedback.

Ultima 5 screenshot from 1988 (16x16 sprites)
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net.../Hassad.png/revision/latest?cb=20101003012028

The game is on 32x32 grid squares, and every sprite is a maximum of 32x32.

Paperdoll armour:

NPC's: These will have a black pixel outline in game.

Attachments

Bingdom

Googledom
The thing I hate the most are the walls. Everything else looks fine.
I would recommend making the walls a bit more isometric-like and a whole lot more narrow. (Like the fences) ;)

Geoff Jones

The thing I hate the most are the walls. Everything else looks fine.
I would recommend making the walls a bit more isometric-like and a whole lot more narrow. (Like the fences) ;)
Thanks Bingdom. I was struggling with the walls myself. My thoughts were to keep the walls similar to how it was done in Ultima 5. Ill see what I can do with them :)

F

fxokz

I actually like it, the saturation/colour palette seems beautiful. the sprites themselves are understandable. The paperdoll armor seems to have a lot of shades of grey so i dont know if thats too good but maybe im wrong. The only thing im not much of a fan of is the black outline on some of the sprites like the trees etc etc. Other than that ill probably rate this a 7/10

edit: the pig definitely needs more work in terms of pixel art. It doesnt really have the proper shape.

edit2: The barrel is a perfect example of how the outline of a sprite should be instead of pure black.

edit: the furnace/fireplace looks transparent

Bingdom

Googledom
Maybe giving them a cartoon outline (like what you did with the items and the NPCs) will help? I think the style how heartbeast does his walls will suit well with the bricks ;)
upload_2016-10-13_20-58-38.png

Geoff Jones

Thanks fxokz and YanBG :D
Bingdom: That looks like a good way to go. I may have to make the side walls 32 wide though due to how the tiles work. The player can only move in a 32x32 pixel grid. ie each step moves the player 32 pixels in whatever direction. But it will still look a hell of a lot better than it looks now :)

T

TheUltimate

I like it! It’s clean, easy to understand, and the colours are appealing.

I have two suggestions:
  • Adding an outline to items so you can tell what can be picked up and what’s part of the scenery.
  • The black outline is a lot darker than any other colour in your sprites, which makes them look a little flat. I suggest increasing the contrast on the shading to give the sprites more depth.

J

JealousOfCrows

I would try getting rid of the black outline altogether. The image above without the black outline made the sprites look really nice and clean. It would also blend better with your background and environment. Or try TheUltimate's advice! Looking good though!

Geoff Jones

Thanks guys. I did originally have it without the black outline but I found things blended in with different backgrounds *too* well. For example some weapons and npcs become unrecognisable if they are on certain backgrounds. I'll have a think and maybe rework some things. Cheers :)