Alpha Code of the Savage RPG [DEMO!]

YanBG

It's posted(not sure if you had to contact them):
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/code-of-the-savage-ultima-inspired-rpg.123079/
https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40362&highlight=code+savage

People have some critique(which is normal), like improving the character graphics, you can address it.

How feasible is a demo? It can help a lot for certain games(e.g. Undertale) but if you haven't been preparing it, might look rushed.

Hope you'll reach some of the goals.

Edit: btw your trailer picture on reddit has only the logo but should be the game world or town etc.

Last edited:

Geoff Jones

It's posted(not sure if you had to contact them):
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/code-of-the-savage-ultima-inspired-rpg.123079/
https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40362&highlight=code+savage

People have some critique(which is normal), like improving the character graphics, you can address it.

How feasible is a demo? It can help a lot for certain games(e.g. Undertale) but if you haven't been preparing it, might look rushed.

Hope you'll reach some of the goals.

Edit: btw your trailer picture on reddit has only the logo but should be the game world or town etc.
Thanks mate, I appreciate the heads up and also help you have provided. Iv'e replied to the forum. The RPG codex is awaiting dev approval. Demo is kinda not feasible right now. But ill see what I can do.

Geoff Jones

I simply must ask: what are the "dark themes" you're referring to here (if you're able to share at all)?
I didn't want to share here, the game does deal with themes of rape, torture and child abuse. The player doesn't commit any of those acts, but does have to deal with situations involving them, and needs to decide what to do to deal with them. Example, encountering a man, who is living with a child, whom the player suspects of abuse. Does the player kill the abuser, leaving the child to fend for her self? Or is the player even correct in his suspicions?

BTW, is it normal to only have 5% of your backers coming from kickstarter directly after 24 hours?
Most people don't share their stats unfortunately, so it's impossible to know. From the developers I've asked, that seems low, though. I've heard closer to 50% usually. I've also heard you want 50% of your goal in the first few days, iirc, but I don't know how important that is, and I asked awhile ago.

I dunno. I'd just keep spreading it around. Where have you shown it so far?

G

gamedev4life

cool game, but my criticism is that the character's animation is way too under developed for a kickstarter. the character is the main focus of the game and needs at least some cool animations and attacks etc to entice potential consumers. good luck though!

Geoff Jones

Most people don't share their stats unfortunately, so it's impossible to know. From the developers I've asked, that seems low, though. I've heard closer to 50% usually. I've also heard you want 50% of your goal in the first few days, iirc, but I don't know how important that is, and I asked awhile ago.

I dunno. I'd just keep spreading it around. Where have you shown it so far?
Mainly my twitter, Ultima groups, reddit, and the RPG codex/watch. Any other recommendations on where I can post?

Geoff Jones

cool game, but my criticism is that the character's animation is way too under developed for a kickstarter. the character is the main focus of the game and needs at least some cool animations and attacks etc to entice potential consumers. good luck though!

Thanks, yes others have said the same thing. I think I will end up replacing the player character art, and NPCs with sprites that can better move in different directions.

YanBG

Mainly my twitter, Ultima groups, reddit, and the RPG codex/watch. Any other recommendations on where I can post?
You could write to PC(/Euro)Gamer, Rock Paper Shotgun and other news sites. While there was voting on Steam, people tried to combine the fans from it and kickstarter.
Ask some youtube players to cover it: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2XAyw48F9qfTilopCdr4Ew/featured i can list more if you want.
Thanks, yes others have said the same thing. I think I will end up replacing the player character art, and NPCs with sprites that can better move in different directions.
You might want to update people on that.

From around here i can think of @WarpDogsVG who made successful kickstarter.

Last edited:

wadaltmon

I didn't want to share here, the game does deal with themes of rape, torture and child abuse. The player doesn't commit any of those acts, but does have to deal with situations involving them, and needs to decide what to do to deal with them. Example, encountering a man, who is living with a child, whom the player suspects of abuse. Does the player kill the abuser, leaving the child to fend for her self? Or is the player even correct in his suspicions?
I'm glad to hear you're not compromising your vision simply to allay the risk of offending people. I wish more RPGs would give you complex choices like that. (Hell, I wish more "RPGs" would actually incorporate real choice and consequence, but that's a completely different discussion).

Just pledged myself. You're over halfway there; keep it up, and you should reach your goal very soon!

Geoff Jones

You could write to PC(/Euro)Gamer, Rock Paper Shotgun and other news sites. While there was voting on Steam, people tried to combine the fans from it and kickstarter.
Ask some youtube players to cover it: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2XAyw48F9qfTilopCdr4Ew/featured i can list more if you want.

You might want to update people on that.

From around here i can think of @WarpDogsVG who made successful kickstarter.
Thanks for that! Yup already on it :)

Oh, nice! Looks like you're on track to reach your goal and then some, probably!
Yes! 57% so far! I guess it will start to dry up from here on out though.

I'm glad to hear you're not compromising your vision simply to allay the risk of offending people. I wish more RPGs would give you complex choices like that. (Hell, I wish more "RPGs" would actually incorporate real choice and consequence, but that's a completely different discussion).

Just pledged myself. You're over halfway there; keep it up, and you should reach your goal very soon!
Thanks for the pledge mate!

YanBG

Hm, it's not way more detailed but it's improvement. Idk about the black outlines though.

Btw how much time does it take to finish it? What programs? I'm not a fan of Spine but something like that might help, since you work in 2d.

Geoff Jones

Hm, it's not way more detailed but it's improvement. Idk about the black outlines though.
Btw how much time does it take to finish it? What programs? I'm not a fan of Spine but something like that might help, since you work in 2d.
Hmm It shouldn't take long to finish update all the sprites. This one I was messing around with for a couple hours, just to get the prototype down.
Spine looks awesome. but may be overkill for this project :) I can see it would be great for games that have more complicated animation.

Geoff Jones

I like the improvements! Do you use a paper doll system?
Thanks! yeah I am. In Photoshop using the animate feature, I have each frame set up so that I just enable or disable different skin tones, hair styles/colours and clothing. Then I hit a hot key to dump the images to a folder.

S

StoneTide

This is something I'd play and the kick starter video looks nice

YanBG

Thanks! yeah I am. In Photoshop using the animate feature, I have each frame set up so that I just enable or disable different skin tones, hair styles/colours and clothing. Then I hit a hot key to dump the images to a folder.
Why not combining the pieces in the game?

C

Cybiont Technologies

Congratulations on achieving your goal! I also just started a kickstarter.... I hope I get to meet my goal.

Mana

Your game looks awesome!
and your portrait art is rly cool too

I'm a little late but congrats on achieving your goal. (=

I'm very impressed with your game! Also I'm interested in playing it!! :)

EDIT:

regarding the mentioned inconsistency of the graphics: I really love the grass, the edges and the rocks and so on. The trees look great too, but they have a different (less detailed style). They peak out from the detailed grass for example. So do the characters.
And the text boxes should really get a different background (no blank color). I imagine it to have the same style as the equip menu. That stoney texture. That would do. Because right now it still looks like a placeholder.

If the grass was a solid color only, the trees would look perfect. But since they have less detail / texture they look out of place. I'd suggest filling them in the same style as the rest (also the chars) and then it's a perfect look! I'm loving the environment so far!

Last edited: