• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion Code folding and selecting all frames in image editor

P

Primoz128

[SUGGESTION #1 - Code folding/wrapping]
I have googled code folding in GMS2 before and so far i have only found regions. I started using regions and they are nice, but when i heard of code wrapping/folding in GMS2 from a friend i thought it finally had what Notepad++ has which is folding of each and EVERY conditional statement(if,else, else if, for, while...). That ended up not being the case so now i am suggesting it.

What Notepad++(the only example i know of...) does is, exactly the same as GMS2 does with regions, like able to click on a +- sign to expand and hide the code underneath, but it is automatic and on every conditional statement and it looks like this when folded.

if (condition != value)
+ {
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Slightly different in Notepad++ than how regions look like right now in GMS2, but that's not the point.

[SUGGESTION #2 - Selecting all frames in image editor(not sprite editor)]
I have tried selecting all frames in GMS2 of a sprite, but so far with all the documentation read, i have only managed to select all frames in the sprite editor(first window when opening a sprite), but not in the image editor, where i was only able to select multiple frames by holding Control + clicking the selected frames(too slow with tons and tons of frames). Now in every editor ever(on Windows), one would use Control + A to select everything, like the entire page, text, image etc... In the image editor it selects the whole image..., when i click on a frame and then do it, or any other way it ALWAYS selected the entire image(makes sense, but it also doesn't, since how do i select all the frames then ?...). Now if there is any way of actually selecting all frames so i can in my case REMOVE(via color remover tool) the old legacy way of doing transparency via the bottom left corner pixel. please correct me if there is a way, otherwise this is an actual suggestion.

[SUGGESTION #3 - Room name selection]
When creating new resources in the Resources window it will start you with the default resource name + the index number. You then type your chosen name for the resource e.g. obj_player. And then by typing your name for the resource, GMS2 will delete the previously selected resource since it is created with it's name selected, which is GOOD and quick for creating new resources, but the problem i have is when creating "child" objects of rooms and i just want to edit the name to have a sub name e.g.:
-room_space(parent) ---> room_space_1(child)
Now when trying to quickly edit the name i will end up deleting the entire name and have to rewrite it with it's appropriate sub name, that is because once again GMS2 will select the entire name on creation. My suggestion would be that for "child" rooms created via "Create Child" from the menu accessed by right clicking on the chosen room, instead of selecting the entire name on creation, it would rather simply not do that and just leave the position at the end of the parent inherited name for easier editing.

Now this might be anti intuitive for some, since every resource behaves by selecting the entire name, and then this single resource's special command does something else instead... To me, it's vice versa.

Also when writing names for other resources with an editor e.g. objects, sounds, sprites etc. the name you are typing is only shown in the Resources window all until you press "enter" and then the name appears in the editor as well. Wouldn't it be better if it mimicked the actions in the editor as well, since idk maybe it's just me again, i always end up creating a new resource and then looking in the editor where the name is ?...

I apologize for not supplying any images, due to this being my first post on this "new" forum, and i require 5 posts before this one in order to prove that i am not a bot, thus being granted access to links.