• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion Code Editor Requests

P

Primordial Games

The code editor has a ton of wonderful improvements. Well, actually it has maybe 1 improvement. Predictive intellisense type of functionality works better than before. It will tell you what is possible to use and type which is a huge improvement. Especially if sometimes you just are not sure what it is you need.

I feel a few essential things are missing though.
  • Automatically close brackets and parenthesis. For example if I type if( then and additional ')' gets added after my cursor. If I type { then and additional '}' gets added after my cursor. This would be very nice to have. optionally make it so it places the close on a new line as well.
  • Tool tips or manual links. Would also be great if there was a quick way to click or hover over one of the intellisense type popups and get to the manual for documentation.
  • scale/change text size. I would like independant font size so I can choose the editor size that I prefer with a font size I prefer. F7/F8 does this
  • Auto tab on enter. let it be optional. this would work inside if loops and things like that. I normally tab over, as do many others I assume. Might be nice if it did that for us.
  • Find and replace. Both globally across an entire project and locally within current page/scope.
  • Import/export preferences and color profiles
Mostly small things that make for a better and quicker user experience. I will add more things If I come up with them.

Please post any ideas you might have as well, I will add them up here.
Keep it focused on text/code editor.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Automatically close brackets and parenthesis. For example if I type if( then and additional ')' gets added after my cursor. If I type { then and additional '}' gets added after my cursor. This would be very nice to have. optionally make it so it places the close on a new line as well.
Functions taht you add through the auto-complete already add in their () and skip the cursor to the appropriate position. However I don't think there are plans to add this anywhere else.

• Tool tips or manual links. Would also be great if there was a quick way to click or hover over one of the intellisense type popups and get to the manual for documentation.
Use the middle mouse button or press F1 on any function or variable in the code editor to open the manual on the related page.

• scale/change text size. I would like independant font size so I can choose the editor size that I prefer with a font size I prefer.
Use F7/F8 to scale tect in the code editor.

• Auto tab on enter. let it be optional. this would work inside if loops and things like that. I normally tab over, as do many others I assume. Might be nice if it did that for us.
Not sure I agree with this as everyone has a different indent style and creating an option that would please everyone would be impossible, imho

L

Lahssoo

Not sure I agree with this as everyone has a different indent style and creating an option that would please everyone would be impossible, imho
Indeed, I would hate to have an indent style forced on me! (though... I'm okay if you want to use mine and force it on other...)

P

Primordial Games

Functions taht you add through the auto-complete already add in their () and skip the cursor to the appropriate position. However I don't think there are plans to add this anywhere else.
The autocomplete ones work, but when a person types something themself instead of using one of the autocomplete this slows the workflow.
Most other code editors I have used have this behavior so its just something I think many people can appreciate if it gets added.

Use the middle mouse button or press F1 on any function or variable in the code editor to open the manual on the related page.
That is useful for when something is already typed, but im talking about before it is typed, when it pops up in the autocomplete field so it can be looked up before getting put in ones code.

Use F7/F8 to scale tect in the code editor.
Perfect! Thank you.

By chance, is there a find and replace implemented? Both within the current code screen and also a global find and replace?

M

mdbussen

Would it be possible to add options to import/export the code editor colors? The default colors are really lacking IMO so it would be helpful to be able to import and export code editor color preferences.

xot

GMLscripter
GMC Elder
You can't import/export but you can access your color settings here: %appdata%\GameMakerStudio2\<username>\local_settings.json

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
@Lonewolf - that bug with the extension functions not getting coloured has been fixed on the internal build

Russell

M

mdbussen

You can set the colours in the preferences......?
I know, i was wondering about "sharing" the preferences. Currently AFAIK you would have to manually copy each setting yourself to share text editor colors.

O

olyvian

yeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..............we're not doing that :)
Feature a plugin availability for the code editor which can have a part of the marketplace.
Ps.
The image collision mask doesn't resize while downsizing the canvas sprite width and height.

Also, would it be possible to run projects from external editors?

Last edited by a moderator:

Carbon

Can you please add the option to auto tab after enter and auto close brackets?

Like in VS, auto indent after pressing enter after if its inside a 'for' or something..

Please just add those smaller IDE things, make it available in the preferences menu.. This is the only thing that holds me back from buying GMS2 apparently, because I've been missing this feature since like forever and I thought you guys added it on GMS2 but you didn't..

Also, using external IDE is out of option for me

Please re-consider adding them....

B

Brodie Swift

Rather than make a new topic I'll add in here.. holding shift and pressing enter won't make a newline.. not sure if intentional but it'd be great if it made a newline like normal.