Cloud is stupid and you should feel stupid.

M

Misty

Okay so after spending many hours on a campaign on my 360 the disc drive finally broke and will not run the game.

Fortunately the game is backwards compatible, so it runs on my Xbox One, but I google how to transfer the save files, and it says I must launch the game and upload the file to the Cloud.

The braindead part of it is since my xbox 360's disc drive is made out of garbage, I cannot actually launch the game and make a new save file to the cloud.

So I must replay the game which I have spent 100's of hours and start from scratch.

This is beyond braindead.

Why is everything online only these days and so jacked and utterly broken. It is ridiculous when I want to play an offline game and it tells me I need the internet to play singler player campaign. I try to play Halo 5 forge but I need online just to build some offline maps? Why? And why is there no split screen in halo anymore? This is so stupid? Who are the people making these kinds of idiotic decisions anyway?

Gamebot

Thats why everyone I know is going back to PC games. While many games need the internet to download,/update you can play most and save without a connection.

Dont buy products that require an internet connection.

M

Misty

You, the customers fuelling these "anti-consumer" practices. You vote with your money.
So what should I do start my own console business to protest the monopoly and give power back to the consumer?

Thats why everyone I know is going back to PC games. While many games need the internet to download,/update you can play most and save without a connection.
PC games dont have the couch atmosphere of simply sitting with a pal relaxing getting comfortable and enjoying the big tv.

Lukan

Gay Wizard Freak
You can actually just go into the 360's storage management and move any save data to the cloud without launching the game.
I've done this with a bunch of games to transfer my save data to my xbone, and it works just fine.

Dog Slobber

The cloud has nothing to do with why you can't transfer your data. The reason you can't transfer your data is because you can't launch the game.

Last edited:

Fanatrick

PC games dont have the couch atmosphere of simply sitting with a pal relaxing getting comfortable and enjoying the big tv.
I always find this argument silly, because nothing ever stopped me from plugging in an hdmi cable and bunch of controllers. If anything it brought the couch atmosphere to a whole new level, because people just brought whichever controller they had to my place. Nowadays I have a gaming laptop set up that I can bring anywhere. Last few times there were 2 logitech controllers of which 1 was wireless, a dualshock2 with usb converter and a 360 - we thought we were up for a bad time setting them up, but to our surprise every game we played on steam worked perfectly (gang beasts, duck game, samurai gunn, hammerwatch, tekken 7 and rocket league).

There are 2 reasons to buy a gaming console:
- Not owning a gaming PC
- Exclusive titles

M

Misty

The cloud has nothing to do with why you can't transfer your data. The reason you can't transfer your data is because you can't launch the game.
Gonna give you a minute so you can see why that logic doesn't hold water.

M

Misty

You can actually just go into the 360's storage management and move any save data to the cloud without launching the game.
I've done this with a bunch of games to transfer my save data to my xbone, and it works just fine.
Ok, I googled this and couldn't find anything about it. I guess I will just have to try that today and see if it gives me trouble.

M

Misty

Strange. It's the first google result for me:
https://www.google.com/search?q=xbox+360+data+transfer+cloud

This seems to explain it all step by step, just as @Lukan suggested: https://www.tomsguide.com/us/transfer-xbox-360-saves-to-xbox-one,review-3172.html
Those weren't my search terms.

I guess I must learn the language of ai.

If I was a boss in a game you would have destroyed one of my left engines, however I am still flying. And my argument is still active, cloud is still stupid.

ElectroMan

Jack of All Shades
So what should I do start my own console business to protest the monopoly and give power back to the consumer?
That is the only reasonable conclusion to be taken from my argument, absolutely.

shareholders also vote with their money...
Shareholders are just offering the big stick, consumers are the ones turning around and going "yes Senpai, all the way in."
It's an investment for them. And if they invest on people falling for stupid anti-consumer policies, and they get a return on that investment, then people are falling for stupid anti-consumer policies. It's called a causal link.

Dog Slobber

Gonna give you a minute so you can see why that logic doesn't hold water.
Well it's been longer than a minute or so, and I don't see why my logic doesn't hold water.

Hypothetically, let's say that your game could save to a USB stick for transferring. You still would not be able to save your files to USB because you can't run the game to save them.

M

Misty

Well mainly, Google was saying I could not save to cloud unless I can launch the game, but Babia's Game Studio seems to have a solution.

Cloud is still stupid for other reasons though, mainly an invasion of privacy, and that your data is not yours it is dependent on weather conditions and whether or not the powers that be decide to continue their service for you or not.

Mercerenies

Cloud is still stupid for other reasons though, mainly an invasion of privacy, and that your data is not yours it is dependent on weather conditions and whether or not the powers that be decide to continue their service for you or not.
Solution: Buy an offshore warehouse, set up a server farm that only you have access to, buy a cheap domain and point it at the server farm. Instant, infinite private cloud space completely under your control. And if you set it up in a country with low wages, you can just hire someone to go and install more hard drives if you ever run out of space. You're welcome :)

About the Service; Yeah its scary to think that one day when a company stops supporting your purchases, how will you get them back

About the FF Character; He's not stupid, just terribly guilt-ridden