• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Job Offer - Programmer [CLOSED]

Spring

Hello, I want someone to create a set of assets in GMS:2 that functions like a dictionary.
Please note: I do not have a list of words and their properties, and I'm hoping someone will be able to find an open source database of English words and translate them into something GMS can use. There are data bases of English words online, such as https://wordnet.princeton.edu/

The system created by these assets should have the following properties:
  1. the system functions offline.
  2. the system contains words and their properties that can be found in a reasonably official English dictionary. Words should contains only alphabets.
  3. when given any string on runtime, the system should be able to give Boolean answer to whether the input is a word.
    e.g.: isWord("") -> false; isWord("hello") -> true; isWord("waergszsaegerwq") -> false;
  4. when given a word, the system should know which parts of speech that word can be, a word may be eligible for multiple parts of speech.
    e.g.: isPart("wail", noun) -> true; isPart("wail", verb) -> true; isPart("grotesque", verb) -> false;
  5. the system should be able to run the above functions at least once per frame without significant slow-down, you may assume the game runs at 60fps
  6. the dictionary should include many words as well as many interpretations of those words, but not so many that extremely obscure or technical words or usages of common words become overwhelming. The dictionary used when googling "define flux", for example, has a good degree of inclusiveness.
If the assets you created can accomplish the above, you will receive 70USD from my PayPal. You may also receive up to $30 tip if your assets meets the following criteria:
  1. when given a part of speech and a number of characters, the system can return a random word meeting those specifications.
    e.g.: randomWord(noun,4) -> flea; randomWord(noun,4) -> spot;
  2. the system is less than 20Mb in size. (This should be possible; several offline dictionary apps have sizes below 40M, and the system described does not require definitions for the words.)
  3. the system has easy and readable instructions on how the dictionary may be updated.
You may contact me at [email protected]
Negotiations on details of the job is welcome. By accepting this job you agree that you are not entitled to anything besides the $70~100 reward, and, unlikely though it is, if any published work uses your assets, your contribution will be credited.

Last edited: