Legacy GM [CLOSED] Setting image_speed the "right" way with / room_speed?

Greetings all,

What would be considered the "right" way to set image_speed?

For example in a typical scenario, with a room_speed of 60, and image_speed set to 1, even with around 20 to 30 sprite frames the animation is very fast. And so, we might tweak our image_speed to 0.5 (or as needed).

I read somewhere, that instead of setting image_speed to a "stand alone" value, one should set it thus;
image_speed = 30 / room_speed (where 30 here represents the example "stand alone" 0.5 value above)

Is this the "right" way? Are there any pros and cons associated with doing this?

Cheers,
Nathan.

SnoutUp

Well, the obvious pro of setting your image_speed related to the room_speed is that you can change room speed and animations stay the same. For example, if you want to publish a performance-oriented version of HTML5 game capped at 30FPS. This also would be the "righter" way. Even better if you also set it related to your character speed (if that's a movement animation). The con could be that you won't be able to do "slow motion" by reducing FPS, but that's a very small con, since who does that anyway..?

I personally always have my room_speed at 60, so I just set it to something what feels good.