• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Close Active Window Shortcut

N

Nojh

So I'm relatively new to both GameMaker 1.4 and 2.0, having just completed the 1.4 tutorial before 2.0 came out. I just jumped to 2.0, and I'm loving the IDE as I'm used to other IDEs like Visual Studios. However I'm working on a laptop with a limited resolution so I'm trying to learn all the shortcuts I can to optimize moving finding what I want and keeping organized while still learning all the features and such.

I've learned of the following:
  • F12 - Expand / Collapse all docks in the workspace
  • CTRL+Tab - Show Workspace / Active Windows for quick switching
  • CTRL+T - Search Resources
  • CTRL+SHIFT+<dir> - Change active window to another window in that direction.

These all work great for moving around but often I feel like I want to organize my workspace, which means closing a lot of windows. And often I want to just quickly close the current window I'm working on and go back to the parent. I admit I expected CTRL+W to do that, but that apparently closes the workspace.

So is there an easy to close the active window without having to use the mouse to click on the x in the corner? Particularly a shortcut would be nice but I'm open to other means. If there is no such thing, would others find it useful enough to suggest it to the devs?

As an aside, is there a term for the flow of connected windows within a workspace? For example, I open an object, and the event window appears, and I add several events, which opens the script editor, etc. I keep wanting to call them workflows, but I didn't know if there was an official or community-defined term for it. A way to close an entire workflow with one button from any child window would also be nice.

Y

Yazuka

If you right click within a Workspace under Windows there is a Close All option which does what you want.

If you want to close the entire window within a workspace you can just close the parent window in your example this would be the object editor window and it'll close all the child windows too.

N

Nojh

So I'm guessing what I'm asking for specifically doesn't exist then.

If you right click within a Workspace under Windows there is a Close All option which does what you want.

If you want to close the entire window within a workspace you can just close the parent window in your example this would be the object editor window and it'll close all the child windows too.
I don't necessarily want to close all windows. Just the window I'm currently working in.

Closing the parent closes the workflow. I do like that. I usually would have to scroll or zoom the workarea in order to find the the parent to do that, so it isn't very efficient but that'd be a nice shortcut to have, I think.

A

aquantumofgravitas

This is an older thread so I hope you see this. What you're asking for doesn't exist, and CTRL+W will close the tab you're in rather than the active workspace window, so instead you can use CTRL+TAB. It opens the Workspace Overview which lists all of the open tabs and windows with an option to close each, lets you jump between each, and lets you selective close windows and tabs.

Hold CTRL and tap TAB to open the Workspace Overview, and tap TAB to cycle-select through a list of Active Windows, which are all of the open windows within this tab. On release of CTRL, you will jump to the selected window.
Hold CTRL and tap TAB and then tap UP and DOWN to navigate the Active Windows in the current tab. Tap LEFT to move to the Workspaces List and then UP and DOWN to move to another tab and navigate the windows in those workspaces.
Click on the X next to any of the Active Windows or Workspaces to close it.